Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
pwrdbykyank
Accepted Solution

EA6500 loses WIFI connection after inactivity, how do i fix this???

Hi guys, ive had this probelm with a few routers now and i was hoping this new EA6500 would fix it but no. Whenever i dont use the wifi over night, next day it doesnt work, i need to reboot the router for the WIFI to work again. Wired connections always works and doesnt go down. Anyone know how i can fix this?

jaymay

Re: EA6500 loses WIFI connection after inactivity, how do i fix this???

When you say that you’re not using the wifi overnight, did you mean you’re turning off the router or you’re not simply using any wireless connection at all? If you’re not using the wireless connection it should continue to work. Aside from rebooting the router to get the wifi working again, what other troubleshooting did you do to the router? Make sure that the router has the latest firmware. You could also try resetting the router and reconfigure its settings.

pwrdbykyank

basically once its not being used it stops working, i dont turn it off. It has the newest firmware and i have reset it, no go. Wired still works fine but wifi just says unable to connect on devices (phones laptops) so i have to pull the plug and power it back on every day for it to work for wifi
jaymay

Are your devices connected to both the 5GHz network and 2.4GHz network and are experiencing the same thing? If it’s just on one of the networks, how about try to connect them to just one band and see if the problem is still experienced. What are your wireless settings for both the network (channel and security)? Are you using the smartwifi firmware or the cloud?

pwrdbykyank

The secuirty is on the wpa2/wpa mixed personal and both 2.4 and 5.0 are enabled, but on the devices i think i only connected 2.4 i have not tried the 5.0 one i dont think my phones pick it up but ill try. How would i know if im using cloud or smart wifi? i double click the smart wifi icon and it opens a browser which i log into to be able to change settings.. does that mean im using smart wifi or cloud? 

Jake_2.0

It would be unusual for a series of routers to be acting the same way. Perhaps you might need to check on the drivers of your laptop’s wireless adapter if it has been updated. For EA600, you can only use the cloud based ui.

Expert
sabretooth

Go into your wireless adapter properties under power management and uncheck the box:

'Allow the computer to shut off this device to save power'

Now try.

pwrdbykyank

But the thing is its not just the laptop, when this happens all laptops in the house and all our cell phones stop picking up the wifi so its not the laptop adapters its the router for sure. One thing im wondering.. can my verizon network extender be causing this to happen which is connected to my router via one of the lan wires i guess thats what its called? The network extender uses the high speed internet to boost cell phone reception in the house. I hope its not causing this because without it i have no signal in the house :smileysad:

Expert
jlbjlb

Try changing the EA6500's local IP address to 192.168.2.1.

It's possible that a NAT conflict is fouling things up. Having to power cycle is usually a big red flag for a NAT conflict.

The EA6500 is designed to avoid NAT conflicts for devices connected to its wan port but I don't think it will avoid conflicts with the LAN port.
Expert
jlbjlb

If that doesn't work and you determine your extender is an access point and not a nat router, then make sure your Verizon extender has a different (unique) SSID. Don't use the same as your router.

Also, try changing the channel width on the ea6500 to 20 MHz only and use inssider to find the best wireless channel. Make sure your Verizon extender and linksys are not using the same channel. Try 1, 6 or 11