Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
castillman
Accepted Solution

EA6500 really poor Down/Up speeds for wireless.

[ Edited ]

I just got my EA6500 router before the holidays and set it up before going on vacation so I can't be sure that wireless was ever working at full speed, due to lack of testing. As it stands now my desktop (hardwired into the router) gets d/u speeds of around 16 to 20 Mbps down and 1 to 2 Mbps up, this is pretty standard from my old router and in the range for what I pay RCN in Massachusetts for. When I connect my wife's Mac and my Laptop to the wireless I get in the range of 1 to 2 Mbps down and 1 to 2 Mbps up, what gives? Is there something more I should be doing to set the system up? I troubleshooted my laptop first, and stopped after I verified it was happening on other devices. Signal appears to be strong to the router just bandwidth speeds are in the can. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

-Chris

ylime1984

Re: EA6500 really poor Down/Up speeds for wireless.

Download and upload speeds varies from what you're getting from the modem provided by the ISP. Check first the upload/download rates connected straight to the modem so we could make some comparison when it's through the router. If it appears that it gets slow through the router especially for the wireless connectivity, you can modify the settings for wireless on the router for both signals (5GHz and 2.4GHz); you could apply these settings; For 5GHz, set channel width to 40MHz then channel to 48. For 2.4GHz, channel width to 20MHz and channel to 9. Also, turn off Media Prioritization on the router.

castillman

The speeds/ping between the modem straight hookup and the via the router are vertually identical. I will try changing channels, both devices are 802.11n.

castillman

That did the trick, at 2.4ghz set a 20mhz only on channel 9 both the 802.11n devices: mac and the pc lappy reach similar speeds to the wired speeds. I'll consider this matter closed from a support point of view. Thank you.

-Chris

DjLevel91

I'm in Toronto Canada

With Bell Are SPEEDS Are Faster With BELL & TEKSAVVY

we Have the 25 DL 10 Up UNLIMIRED none of the Cut off **bleep** any more 245 Gig BandWidth.

Rogers will Only get a 1 up it's like running the 5/6 Old DSL 

For the Wireless On The EA6500

I don't use the 2.4 cause it's Slow I Totaly Disabiled Compleatly.

I Use the AE3000 WireLess Cisco adaptor On each Of My 3 HP All In OneComputer's & 2 Labtops.

Use the 5.25 On the EA6500 Much Better and faster Sppeds then The 2.4 <----Just Disaible Cause Most "NEW" DEVICES Alread have the 5.25 Capibility's all ready Built right into it.

This InCludes your Internet Providers Router Disaible anything with the Wireless On Your Internet providers Router the 2 Together will cause Conflict's trust me Been there and had to find Out for My Self Not Through Techsupport here Or Bell

Just Keep the 5.25 On The Security Much Faster

And 157 MHz  and the 40 ,

When You Check your Speeds through Your Wirless Signal Through Cisco it should Read 450 Not 300

you won't get the 1300 Cisco Told cause there are Only 2 Other router's that carry this AC Security And Speed As well But you won't get the 1300 Like the Box Says I already Called Cisco and Went through the Chane Of Command About Tech Support with cause it was even still New To CISCO Tech Support.For the First time to See Your true Speeds comming in from your Internet Provider reboot the Computer then Come back in here Do The Checking again

The Wireless Signal Strength Should Now read 450 Not 300 Only fro those Who Have AE 3000 Wireless Adaptor From Cisco.

then Use www.speedtest.net    <-------------------- you can Check your Internet Speeds from Here With The Spidomitor For Your Area .

DjLevel91

One other Tip And Word Of Advice People.

The Only way Your Gonna Get The 1300 mpbs SPEED if You Have An FTTH FIBER Connection of The 175 Down Load And 175 UPLoads Only New Sub Divisions In The Toronto Area In A House Or Condo Or Loft's with Get Thease NEW SPEEDS.

Cause The Regular STANDARD Rj11 Phone Lines can't Only Handle 50 MPBS Down Loads But That would Be Maxing Out your Standard Phone Line Connections . I hope This Second Part Helps as well Depends On How far You Are From The Central Office And The Out Side STIGGER Leading To Your Place Of Residence.

Bell Canada Has Thease Speeds of 175-175 For NEW Home Construction FIBER ONLY Not Avalible to every one yet.

Expert
zee29

It is much better to use the 5GHz band over the 2.4GHz band since it is less congested. This band is good only if your adapter will be able to support that. Tha maximum speed that can be achieved with the N network is the 450 Mbps which you are getting but there is no guarantee that it will hold the speed always. Most companies would advertise it as UP TO, since this would be bursts of speeds only. You are very lucky if you will constantly have this type of speed in the network. Now regarding the 1300 Mbps speed, EA6500 can have speeds of up to 1300 Mbps wirelessly when matched with an 802.11ac adapter.

ihygiene

I have had my EA6500 since mid-January and have had intermittent problems with upload/download speeds dropping to almost "0". At least daily it will drop down to 0.10 Mbps download and 0.02 Mbps upload. Sometimes this will last for only 15 minutes and at other times it will last for as much as 4 hours. I have checked with Comcast on varying speeds to the modem and their records indicate no drop off. Also the modem I have is a brand new Motorolla SURFboard modem.  I frequently check my speed with the SpeedTest.net App and can see the drop off. There seems to be not any pattern to it. I have tried many times to re-sync the modem and router by turning off and repowering both units in sequence. This works only for a short period.  

jaymay

This might be a router issue since modem's connection is working fine. Is the problem only experienced from the wired connection or is it wired and wireless? Make sure that the firmware is up to date. You can also reset the router then reconfigure the settings on it. For the wired connection, you can try changing the MTU settings. For instructions, refer to these links: What is MTU and How to Change the MTU Size and Determining and setting up the correct MTU size. For the wireless settings, make sure that both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz network have unique names from each other; try changing the channels for both the networks; for security use WPA2 Personal.

Dev101

I Have BT Infinity and they are pushing 70mbps to my house ....i bought an EA6500 and i had real bad internet speed but amazing conection speed with my BT Home HUB3 ... 23Mbps with Cisco EA6500 and 68Mbps with my BT Home Hub3. I found out it was the Media Prioritization so just to be safe i reset my factory settings and made sure it was turned off. Just like magic i get the same now as the BT Home HUB3 . Hope this helps some one...