wifiwizard

Re: EA6500 List of "Tested" External Hard Drives

[ Edited ]

YES>..I FULLY understand....however....Once again....WHY would they go BACKWARDS? AND These NOT WORK

Title: List of tested USB storage devices for the Linksys E4200 Article ID: 22738

The Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N router’s USB port is compatible with most USB storage devices.  It has a USB 2.0 port and can recognize FAT32,NTFS, and HFS+ formats.  The following table lists the external USB storage devices tested to work with the router, along with their disk storage formats.

Tested External Hard DriveFAT32NTFSHFS+
Iomega eGo 500 GBPassedPassedPassed
Iomega eGo 320 GBN/APassedN/A
Philips 120 GBPassedPassedN/A
Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini (160 GB)PassedPassedN/A
Maxtor One Touch III (750 GB)PassedPassed N/A 
Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1 TBPassedPassed N/A 
Western Digital 1.5 TBPassedPassedN/A
Western Digital 2 TBN/APassedN/A
Western Digital MyPassedport Elite 500 GBN/APassed N/A 
Western Digital MyBook Mirror Edition 2 TBN/APassed N/A
WDC WD32 00BEVT-22ZCT0 320 GBN/A N/APassed
My Book Essential 3 TBN/APassedPassed
Samsung S2 Portable (500 GB)PassedPassedPassed
SAMSUNG HM160HI 160 GPassedPassedPassed
Seagate FreeAgent Desk 2 TBN/APassed N/A 
Seagate 750 GBPassedPassed N/A 
Seagate FreeAgent 500 GB N/APassedN/A
Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 TB N/APassed N/A 
Seagate FreeAgent Go 500 GBPassedPassedN/A
Seagate 3 TB FreeAgent GoFlex DeskN/APassedPassed

GodfatherJGF

Is anyone out there successfully using a 1 - 2TB external hard drive with this router?  I couldn't find any on "the list" which were available.  Tried the Seagate 3TB with no luck.  Also, FYI re. printers, the Canon PIXMA MG5220 works fine with the EA6500!

Expert
jlbjlb

@wifiwizard

The only way you are going to get an answer to your question is by contacting Cisco technical support.  No, it doesn't make any sense why the go-flex drives would work on the E4200 and the EA4500 and then not work on the EA6500.  You should consider calling them and letting them know so they can get a firmware update.

wifiwizard

I did.... Got someone in the Philippines.. No joke. You might think someone "MIGHT". monitor, this forum!
earthmyrll120288

GodfatherJGF wrote:

Is anyone out there successfully using a 1 - 2TB external hard drive with this router?  I couldn't find any on "the list" which were available.  Tried the Seagate 3TB with no luck.  Also, FYI re. printers, the Canon PIXMA MG5220 works fine with the EA6500!

Are you using the Seagate Free Agent Go Flex Desk 3TB USB 2.0 hard drive? When installing it, what is the error message your getting?

wifiwizard

No...It is a Seagate 3 TB  Freeagent  GoFflex USB 3.0.  I am getting NO error messages.  The drive simply is not recognized on either port.  The same goes for a 2 TB and a 750 GB.  They are all three USB 3.0 but as stated in previous posts have ALL worked flawlessly on the Cisco E4200v2 and EA4500.

GodfatherJGF

The drive was Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive.  No error messages -- the router simply would not recognize that there was a USB drive plugged in.  Linksys customer no-service said to give up and try one of the "listed drives."  Before I go search again, I just want to find out if anyone has a proven unit.

earthmyrll120288

GodfatherJGF wrote:

The drive was Seagate Backup Plus 3TB Desktop Drive.  No error messages -- the router simply would not recognize that there was a USB drive plugged in.  Linksys customer no-service said to give up and try one of the "listed drives."  Before I go search again, I just want to find out if anyone has a proven unit.

It doesn't really mean that if it is not on the list it would not work. It may or may not work. We are not sure because Cisco haven't tested it yet.

I believe this is a power issue. It could be possible that the drive doesn't get enough power from the router. Your printer works because it has its own power supply.

wifiwizard

If that is the case....then they have "crippled" the USB ports by adding the 2nd one!

wifiwizard

Well I have finally received a straight answer from a Tier 2 Engineer on this product.  The USB chipset has indeed been changed in the EA6500.  I am now on my third EA6500 and hope doing a little "R&D" with Alex that they can get these perfectly good external drives to work!