Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
geekychix

Re: EA6900 DHCP Problems

Fleuryte wrote:
If I stay on the main linksys connection, everything works fine. As soon as I switch to the wifi extender everything stops working after a few minutes.

Hi Fleuryte,

I would like to know more details about your extenderWhat's the model number?

If you have a large house, I suggest a bridge and an accesspoint. Personally, I am using a WAP610n and a WET610n. I bought it long time ago and it works great. I believe you can consider buying an AC accesspoint and AC Bridge.

You may also try downloading inSSIDer for you to check what is the appropriate channel that works best for you. Goodluck. :smileyhappy:

Fleuryte

We're using the WN3000RP extender from Netgear. Our house actually quite small, so there must be some sort of interference somewhere if we need an extender. I'm pretty sure there's been a lot of complaints about the WN3000RP, I might replace it but I'm pretty sick of buying new devices at this point. I've checked the channels before and made sure we are using the best one possible.

Curiously enough these disconnections only happen at night. I tried to stay on the main connection last night and the connection still crashed. Once again when I woke up everything had to be reset. I'm very confused at this point. I have no idea what it could be.
CKenneth

Hi! Have you verified if your WN300RP from Netgear is 100% compatible with another brand? Based from my experience, there are some extenders that may or may not work with a different brand. This might be one of the reasons why you're having these challenges with the connection.

Fleuryte

[ Edited ]
What's strange is the network only crashes at one end of the house when I move there. Even if I stay connected to the main router connection, it crashes. Maybe they aren't compatible after all. I can't see what else would crash the entire network. Why would moving my computer's location disconnect and crash everything...? It shows I'm connected right now but I can't do anything online. I'm really stumped. I can't tell if it's the modem, ISP, or router that's causing all the trouble.

Everything works fine as long as I'm sitting in the same room as the router. One of our other laptops connects perfectly fine to the extender and doesn't crash anything at all. Its on the connection all day long with no problems. I thought it might have been a network card problem, replaced that but it didn't help.

EDIT: Going to try unplugging the extender, resetting everything, and leaving my laptop on while I sleep. Will report back in the morning with how it went.
Expert
chadster766

After the firmware downgrade I recommend a reset to defaults.

For setup I choose "I want to skip Setup and configure my router manually".

I don't recommend Cloud Connect enablement because it could change your default IP network settings to a 10.x.x.x network.

Reconfigure router and wireless.

WN3000RP requires either b/g/n wireless protocols. AC wireless is not compatible with this device.

The WN3000RP default IP Address is 192.168.1.250 which is outside the EA6900 default IP Address range which should be good.

Follow WN3000RP setup instructions below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20912

:smileywink: Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support
pepper_mint

Hi Fleuryte, did you try changing the channel settings on the router's page? The crashes may be caused by wireless interferences. It may also be best to update the driver of the wireless network card.

Yes, please try resetting and  unplugging like you said and see how it works. We will surely learn from your situation. Goodluck!

Fleuryte

I did, I've tried a few different channels after doing a scan of the neighbor's channels. The network card is up to date.

After testing last night, it seems I disconnect at that end of the house and crash the network no matter what network I'm on. I unplugged the extender and the problem still persists. So something is happening with the router/modem I think. This is the third router we've been on within a MONTH because we keep getting wireless problems... So maybe it's the ISPs fault? Perhaps there's an incorrect setting? I also can't seem to use my ISP's dns address at all.  I have to use opendns or else nothing loads and I get constant DNS errors. :smileysad:

Fleuryte

I seem to have figured out my own problem. After setting my DNS to obtain automatically (instead of opendns), another computer was unable to use our ISP's DNS addresses. Thinking this was strange, I set that laptop's DNS servers to the opendns ones. Bam! It worked. I went into the router and changed it to use a static DNS server address. Now everything works fine and no disconnects at the other end of the house, etc. I have no idea why the DNS server was interfering with all the computers but this seems to have fixed it. :smileyhappy:
pinkyzeny

Thanks for sharing this with us all, Fleuryte. :-)

cheinemann

Has anyone experienced a problem not being able to throttle uplink speeds on the EA6900?  I spoke to tech support once for excess of 2 hours.  Tried hard resetting the router, rolling back firmware, etc.  

Ultimately, a new router was sent to me that was supposed to solve the issue.  Tech support thought it was a hardware issue.  Upon receipt of the new router, it exibited the same problems.  If anyone else has seen this and knows of a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,