Highlighted

EA7500 tethered from cell phone

Hello, I will be in an outdoor vending area with no internet or WiFi. So I need to use my Motorola G5 running Android 7.0 to set up a USB tether. I have some security equipment that needs Ethernet jacks. So I want to know if it is possible to use a USB tether (for speed) to connect through the USB port of the EA7500 to generate a signal for both WiFi and for a hardwired port. I am pretty solid on PC and basic networking, but more sophisticated networking is not my strong suit. I have gone in and modified router settings, so if I can get some help on what the settings should be, that would be great. Everything I have read so far says ASUS routers are the only ones that can do this natively...But I own the EA7500. Thanks!!

Re: EA7500 tethered from cell phone

Hi, Tiger_PA. The Linksys EA7500 router doesn’t support USB tether. The USB port of the said router is for storage and printing only.

Reil – 22071
Linksys Technical Support
Expert

Re: EA7500 tethered from cell phone

[ Edited ]

@Tiger_PA wrote:
Hello, I will be in an outdoor vending area with no internet or WiFi. So I need to use my Motorola G5 running Android 7.0 to set up a USB tether. I have some security equipment that needs Ethernet jacks. So I want to know if it is possible to use a USB tether (for speed) to connect through the USB port of the EA7500 to generate a signal for both WiFi and for a hardwired port. I am pretty solid on PC and basic networking, but more sophisticated networking is not my strong suit. I have gone in and modified router settings, so if I can get some help on what the settings should be, that would be great. Everything I have read so far says ASUS routers are the only ones that can do this natively...But I own the EA7500. Thanks!!

Sorry I don't recommend the EA7500 for this application but a WRT1900ACS running one of the available open source firmware like OpenWRT will do the job.

It's possible  the EA7500 could work if the Internet Setting are set to Wireless Repeater or Wireless Bridge.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Linksys
Communities Technical Support