Kevin v
Accepted Solution

Easy Question: WRT54G Router: How do I rename the user and give a new password?

Not very computer literate, but following the recommendations in FAQ I was able to reset my WRT54G router to default settings by both hitting the reset buttong, and by entering the website. I had gotten a new computer and forgot the old password. Having reset to defaults now the link is unsecured. How do I go about renaming the user and giving it a new password of my own - it was some time ago that I set up the router, and I no longer have the CD. Any help you can offer, or direction you can piont me is appreciated.
helm

Re: Easy Question: WRT54G Router: How do I rename the user and give a new password?

Try the sfollowing steps :

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...

For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
- Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...
- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bit.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...
Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

Kevin v

Re: Easy Question: WRT54G Router: How do I rename the user and give a new password?

You are wonderfully clear, concise and have solved the problem perfectly. Thank you. (Perhaps this should be added to the FAQ)
RockyB

Hey, I have the same problem. I forgot my password/username. I attempted to do the steps you mentioned, but every time I enter -nothing- in the username, and "admin" in the password, the log-in box just reappears over and over, as if it were incorrect. Can you help me?