Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Silvercharged76

File & Printer Sharing via.WiFi Router

I just got a Linksys Ultra RangePlus Wireless N Home Router (WRT160N).:smileyvery-happy: I have a PC and a Laptop connected to it successfully for www access. PC is wired Laptop is WiFi. Now I'm attempting to set up file and printer sharing between the PC & Laptop. So far only my PC can see the Laptop on homenetwork but my Laptop does not connect to the PC. If the PC does not have the wireless adaptor but the Laptop does is this still possible to do this via the WiFi router or do I need a wireless adaptor for the PC? :smileyindifferent: Thanks in advance for your help.

richard804

Re: File & Printer Sharing via.WiFi Router

Yes it will work. All your computers have to be on the same workgroup.  (XP default MSHOME, Vista default WORKGROUP.)  Turn on file and printer sharing on all computers.  On Vista, you have to also turn on network discovery.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
Carrot

Disable any of the firewalls on the PC and check if network discovery is on the lap top. 
Silvercharged76

[ Edited ]
Still no luck. Here is my setup where Satellite is the laptop with the wireless card and Titan4master is the PC wired directly to the router. I'm not sure why the following image represents the laptop (Satellite) as a wire connection or its just the way its done without any differentiation. Anyways here it is... http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=setuplf0.jpg For file and printer sharing My PC sees the laptop but the laptop does not recognize the PC. On all computers, firewalls are off network discovery is on so is file and printer sharing. When I run Setup a wireless network for a home or small office, from the laptop and then use the setting generated on the flash drive on the PC i get the following message. The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter is not installed. I don't get it... Why is this turning into a rocket science???

Message Edited by Silvercharged76 on 09-21-2008 04:16 PM

Message Edited by Silvercharged76 on 09-22-2008 06:18 AM
richard804

Do you have your wireless adaptor turn on?  There usually a switch on the front of the laptop.  On my HP, it is located between the three lights and the touchpad.
Click on Start then Connect to.  If your wireless is turn on, you should see all the networks in your neighbourhood.
Silvercharged76

Sir, what is the point of you posting your suggestions when you don't even seem to bother to read what I have posted. I try to be as descriptive as possible and then I get this uninsightfull suggestion.There were a lot of clues that the wifi switch would be on. .Why don't you ask me if my PC power is on while you were at it???

richard804

I have reread your posts.  For one thing, you did not gives us very much information in your first post.  In your second post, you tell us that you are using Vista on your laptop.  We still do not know the operating system of your desktop. 
LELA 3.0 is telling us that you are using Linksys as your SSID; it should be something else.  It is telling us that your network is working ok.  It does not help you in setting up file and printer sharing.
You still have to setup your firewalls in your computer.
Then you can setup your computers for file and printer sharing.  You still have to set up individual files and your printer.
Tell us the operating system for your desktop and which firewall you are using.  Ex.: Norton.
Silvercharged76

I realize LELA will not help me with the wireless home networking. I've posted this diagram for reference only. It does technically show you that all of the computers are connected to the router. Also I have never indicated that my laptops operating system is Vista. But never the less allow me to clarify things a bit.

1. PC is under XP sp3 , no wireless adapter but obviously it does have the Lan connection to the wireless Router.
  2. Laptop is under XP sp2, with wireless G adapter.
  3. From the PC I can access www and Laptops files and printers.
  4. From the Laptop I can access www but cannot access PC's files and printers.

I'm pretty sure he reason being is that when I run XP's Setup a wireless network for a home or small office, from the laptop and then on the PC run the settings generated on the flash drive I get the following message. The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter is not installed. Thus this is the limiting factor.When you say my router should not be SSID, what do you mean by that. Could this be the problem?

richard804

That wireless setup wizard is useless.  WEP is not very secure.  Use WPA to secure your network.
Using your desktop, log on your router and go to wireless tab.  Set SSID to something other than Linksys.  Ex.: Yankee  Click on Save.
Go to wireless security and set mode to WPA personal.  Set Algorithms to TKIP+AES.
Make up a passphrase.
Click on Save.
On your desktop, click on your wireless adaptor and look for view wireless network.
Connect on the network name you set up on router then insert passphrase twice and click on Connect.  If this does not work, you will have to go into properties and setup mode and algorithms.
Now run Setup a home or small office network on both computers.
Under view workgroups, you should see both computes on desktop & laptop
Now, I presume your printer is connected to your desktop.
Go to Printers & Faxes.  You should see your printer listed with a little hand under it.
In laptop go to Printers & Faxes and click on add a printer and follow instructions.
You should now be able to use your printer from your laptop.  Remember you desktop has to be on so that your laptop can use your printer.
You want to share files from my documents.  Right Click on My documents then click on share.  Do the same on the other computer.
When you  click on My Network Place,  you should see an Icon showing Linksys router and your sharing folders.
XP is easy to setup.  It is a different story for Vista.
Silvercharged76

Wow.. This advise looks much more promising. :smileyhappy:I apologize for soundung like a **bleep** in one of my replys to you sir but i qess I was jut ventig my frustration.:smileymad: I will give this a try later on this evning and let you know how it goes. Thanks for taking your time to do this.:smileywink: