Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
millea8

Firmware Update? Only .bin files?

I'm kind of confused. When I go to download the firmware updates for my newly purchased WRT54G wireless router it tells me they put these files in .zip format for download speed purposes...what i can't figure out, however, is that when i download this file it downloads it as a .bin.  What could be the problem...most likely i am just an idiot haha...the help woule be appreciated thanks :smileyhappy:
Expert
Expert

Re: Firmware Update? Only .bin files?

The documentation does not always reflect the reality. The .bin file is the firmware file. They simply did not zip it. Happens occasionally.
yCaRt23

the bin file is what you need for you to upgrade the firmware of your router...
OriAl

Saves us from having to unzip the file. One less step. :smileyhappy:
Alan

Nerve Center BBS tncbbs.no-ip.com
MAELING

Should the Bin file then be placed into the Linsys folder? I have not worked with Bin files before. Would appreciate a short explanation.
Expert
Expert

You have to upload it to the router. The instructions are in the readme which you can download on the same page as the firmware.

Basically, connect the router to a computer with a cable, open http://192.168.1.1/ go to Administration, Firmware Upgrade, click the browse... button and select the firmware file you have downloaded. The complete path of the file will appear in the browse... textfield. And then you press the upgrade button.

Be careful: the upgrade must not be interrupted under any circumstance.
shagnat

Only files I get after unzipping them is a *.bin file. If I put that in there, it tells me file is not compatible (or something like that) Tried it a lot of different ways. I took part of the line out, since it installed their entire path line to the section where the file name goes. Nothing worked. The directions from Linksys website said the file should be a *.rmt file. I just don't have a file by that name. Please help immediately :smileyhappy:
shagnat

Hey guys/guirls. I got it. Leave the entire path name along with the *.bin file, then click 'upgrade' and it works fine. Blew my mind. I was trying to clean up the file name a little, but, guess that's the wrong thing to do. :smileyhappy:
pdurand

I think I already know the horrible answer to this but... I just got a WRT54g on 3/4/08. I tried updating the firmware and it DID get interrupted. Now the only lights that come on are the Ethernet lights when I plug in a CAT 5 line. The router is fried isn't it? What are my options here? Can I return/exchange it? I'm very frustrated. Thanks.