pschmeer

Firmware upgrade for Linksys WRK54G Wireless-G router?

There is no “firmware” number after the model and I believe this router has never had a firmware upgrade. However, if I try to download any of the 3 upgrades from the Linksys support site I get the message “firmware not available, sorry for the inconvenience.” Since the suggested solutions to so many problems posted in the forum is to first upgrade the firmware, I find this response with no explanation quite annoying. I am having problems replacing my current hardwired Linksys two port router with the WRK54G wireless 4-port router. Questions regarding that problem I will post under a different topic. For now, can anyone tell me if and how I can get the firmware upgrade for the WRK54G?

Thanks much for any help offered

dibbler

Re: Firmware upgrade for Linksys WRK54G Wireless-G router?

Well there is no firmware available for the WRK54G in the Linksys/Cisco website. So you need to google it inorder to find firmware for the router. Second let me know the concern with the router so that it could be resolved without the firmware.

pschmeer

thanks for the reply dibbler. I've searched for a while for the upgrade, but every site's link just takes me to Cisco site, so I'm giving up on that for now. Here's my problem:

Here is my situation:

I have a TW cable modem connection with a Linksys 3-port router plugged into that. I have Linksys VoIP router plugged into the 3-port router as well a switch (the switch has three other putters plugged into it). Everything works! However, if I switch in my Linksys WRK54G (Wireless-G 2.4) four port router for the Linksys 3 port router, which looks exactly the same except for the antennae, I lose the phone and all internet on everything. Which means I can’t configure the router, since it won’t connect with the configuration site. I have attempted some of the troubleshooting steps in the User Manual. I tried to ping the IP and a DOS box quickly opened and some info flashed by, so I believe that qualifies as a “reply.” I’ve tried “common” IP alternatives, but as I said, nothing connects to the internet.

So I put my original 3 port router back in and everything worked again. I decided to try to connect the wireless router into the original router and configure it that way. But the first step is to change the IP of the original router and the same thing happened. I can’t connect to the admin page.

I suspect that the Linksys VoIP router is somehow screwing things up, but I’m a novice at this and am hesitant to try different arrangements, like taking the VoIP router out of the equation. I fear that I’ll do something I won’t have the knowledge to put things back the way they were and will lose phone and internet till I get someone in to fix it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

dibbler

'However, if I switch in my Linksys WRK54G (Wireless-G 2.4) four port router for the Linksys 3 port router'. By this statement, do you mean to say, when you interchange both the routers or when you try to login to the web interface of WRK54g from the computer that is connected to other router?

Okay that was the first question.

2) Now, what is the model number of that 3 port router? 

3) What is the IP address of 3 port router and WRK54g?

4) How is the main router connected to the second router (physical connections between the two routers?

pschmeer

Thanks for attempting to help me with this. Here are the answers to your questions:

<<1. By this statement, do you mean to say, when you interchange both the routers or when you try to login to the web interface of WRK54g from the computer that is connected to other router?>>

I cannot log into the web interface with either router connected. However, I DO have the internet (and phone) with my original setup which is cable modem<Linksys 3 port< Linksys VoIP router and hub. If I take out 3 port router and put the 4 port wireless in its place, I lose all connectivity to the net.

<<2) Now, what is the model number of that 3 port router? >>

Linksys RT31P2. It looks exactly the same as the WRK54g except no antennae and only three Ethernet in ports

<<3) What is the IP address of 3 port router and WRK54g?>>

Not sure I understand the question. When I attempt to get to the router setup screen, I enter the “routers default IP address” specified in the User Manual (192.168.1.1). But I can’t get to the setup screen to determine any other IP address. I DID use the cmd prompt and “ipconfig /all” as the manual suggests. That returned the following info:

IP: 192.168.15.105

Phys: 00-50-BF-2B-9A-FA

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway/DHCP Server: 192.168.15.1

DNS Servers: 209.18.47.61 & 209.18.47.62

But I have TW cable and it is my understanding that the IP # changes pretty much every time I boot the computer. I’m a novice at this, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m wrong about that.

<<4) How is the main router connected to the second router (physical connections between the two routers)?>>

The router connected to the cable modem (the main router), whether it be the original 3port  or when I try the wireless, is connected with Ethernet cable. The VoIP us plugged into that via Ethernet. When I tried to plug the wireless into the 3port, I used Ethernet. In other words, all connections are via Cat5 ethernet cable, including the hub/switch and all computers plugged in.

I hope I’ve answered your questions with enough specificity. I really appreciate your help. One more thing I should mention is that I do not have the setup disk that came with the wireless router. I tend to think it would not help with my problem but if you feel otherwise, let me know. I may be able to obtain it.

bohochic323

[ Edited ]

From what I understand, you are trying to cascade the two routers?  Is that right?  Have you read this article?

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=785463d9ecaf4cac84aed245b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=80&r...

Also, try to reset the routers before attempting these steps. 

"Don't fix it if it ain't broken."