Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
j2v2

Get a blank page when I log in to my WRT54G router's setup page

When I try to log in to my router's setup page, I get a blank screen.  My router's address is 192.168.1.1, and when I type that in to my browser's address bar, I do get the log-in prompt.  I enter the correct password (leaving the user name field blank), and I get a blank screen.  The ensuing page does not show me the various setup parameters.

I have 2 PCs and have encountered the problem in both.  On one, I am running Windows 7 and the other is running Vista.  I recently upgraded my WinXP machine to Win7 and I did not have the problem on XP.

Can you please help?

Thanks

J

toomanydonuts

Re: Get a blank page when I log in to my WRT54G router's setup page

To view the router's web pages:

You do not need an Internet connection. The router's "web pages" are built into the router.
Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall.

Point your browser to 192.168.1.1 , then login to your router. Your user name should be left blank. Your password is "admin" (with no quotes), unless you changed it.

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem.

Some Zone Alarm users have reported that adding 192.168.1.1 to their list of "trusted" addresses fixed the problem. This trick might also work with other firewalls.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker, and the Ad blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Report back with this problem, and also state the make and exact model number of your modem (not the router).

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again.

If all of the above tips fail, then reset the router to factory defaults: Power down the router and disconnect all wires from it. Wait one minute. Power up the router, allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes), then press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release the button and allow the router to reset and reboot ( 2-3 minutes). Power down router. Wait one minute. Connect one computer, by wire, to a LAN port on the router. Boot up system. It should work.

If you still have trouble, then you need to download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for your router. After the firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.
j2v2

Thank you very much for responding.  Unfortunately, none of it worked!  :-(

The Win7 machine is on a wired connection to the router, and the Vista machine is using the wireless connection. 

Firewall - I don't have Zone Alarm or Norton, but have McAfee instead. 

Router Address - The router's address is 192.168.1.1 (confirmed via the ipconfig command).

The setup I have is my Win7 machine is connected (wired) to the router (Linksys WRT54G v8), which is connected to a cable modem (Linksys BEFCMU10 v4).  I tried using the Setup CD to access the router setup screen, but the software does not work under Win7.  I tried running it under a simulated XP mode, but that did not work either. 

I have also tried powering down the entire system (PC, modem, router), but that did not work.

I would like to upgrade the Firmware, but cannot do so as I cannot get to the setup screen.  As I mentioned earlier, when I enter 192.168.1.1 in IE, I do get prompted to enter the username/password.  At that point, I even tried entering the wrong password, and I got the error.  When I entered the correct password, I get past the username/password prompt, but end up with a blank page.  When I view the page source, this is what I get -

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
  <HTML><HEAD>
  <META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type></HEAD>
  <BODY></BODY></HTML>

I don't want to push the reset button at the back of the router as I am afraid that I will not be able to get to the setup screen, which in turn would stop me from accessing the web.

Appreciate your help.

J

great_white

You can try upgrading the router's firmware using TFTP utility.Download  tftp utility and save it on the desktop.Now go to www.linksysbycisco.com/downloads and download the firmware of the router

Follow these steps to upgrade the firmware on the device : -
Double click the TFTP.exe file and click run.
For Server- Enter the IP Address of the router that you assigned.  By default, the router is 192.168.1.1...
For Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
For File- Click the triple “…” button and browse for the .bin firmware file...
Click Upgrade button to start upgrading.  A progress bar should show up to show the progress.

Once the Upgrade is done press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...

j2v2

Great_White:

Thank you very much for this detailed response, and I will give it a shot.  But before I do so, I do have a question - what happens if this fails?  Call me a skeptic, but I was curious to know if there is a work around as in case the router stops working, I would be without a wireless connection, correct?  :-(

I think your response is the one that sounds like it will work, and I will try it, but I just wanted to know if there is a "Plan B"!  :-)

J