LoriS

Getting rid of set up wizard on start up

I installed the WRT5462 wirelsess router on my computer and now every time I restart my computer, the setup wizard tries to reinstall the program again.  The router works fine on the laptop, so it is installed.  It really brings my computer to a stall and takes about 20 minutes or so to finally get going at the speed it should go at.  Even trying to click it off doesn't get it to stop right away.  It's pretty frustrating.  How can I get rid of this?
LoriS

Re: Getting rid of set up wizard on start up

I just wanted to add that it is the extractor program that keeps coming up.  I try to terminate it, but even that doesn't seem to stop it.  Everything slows down to such a slow pace that it is extremely frustrating to try to look at email or anything on the internet.  It takes about 20 minutes for it to finally clear itself and get going at normal speed.
FearlessG1

check your system startup programs. go to start, run, type msconfig hit ok/enter. click the startup tab, then uncheck anything related to the linksys install program. you can also uncheck any other programs you don't need to startup with your computer, make sure you don't uncheck anything you don't know about without doing research first. click apply, you will then have to restart your computer.
rifler39

I have a similar problem with a different program. It is not in the startup list. Hmmmm Pops
gandalf

Goto start->run and type msconfig and hit OK. Set start up options from here. It might help.
rifler39

I went into msconfig and found that windows installer is in the "services" bucket, stopped. It is not in the startup bucket.

I'm going to unclick it and reboot.

Pops

rifler39

Well, I went into msconfig/services and unclicked the MS install wizard thingy. Rebooted and problem was still there. No entry for setup/install was found in the startup list.

Pops

FearlessG1

then you will need to download and run the windows installer cleanup tool http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 BE CAREFUL to not remove other things you are not sure about. just remove the one causing the problem.