xpclient

Guest networking features on Linksys routers?

Do any of Linksys routers have the recently popular guest network access feature where you can create a password protected or no password secondary network that provides internet-only access to guests and prevents them from accessing your main network (computers, printers, HDDs etc?). Does Linksys's highest end WRT610N have a similar feature that works slightly differently but does the same thing?
peanuts

Re: Guest networking features on Linksys routers?

The guest computer's would never have access to other computer's, printer's etc unless they have File and Printer Sharing enabled and they are in the same work group as the rest of your home computer's...also they should be in the trusted zone of your firewall...

I guess this answers to your question...

darrelm47

Peanuts,

It really doesn't answer our question. I want file and printer sharing enabled on my netwrok and I do not know what their work group is (they are guest) besides Windows Vista and Windows7 see computers in other workgroups with no problems. So with file and printer sharing enabled on my home network and wireless guest loging into the gust access on the router can they ever see the home computers.

VALETLINKSYS

darrelm47 wrote:

Peanuts,

It really doesn't answer our question. I want file and printer sharing enabled on my netwrok and I do not know what their work group is (they are guest) besides Windows Vista and Windows7 see computers in other workgroups with no problems. So with file and printer sharing enabled on my home network and wireless guest loging into the gust access on the router can they ever see the home computers.

Hi Darrellm47,

base on what I understood on your post. are you asking if guest computers that are connected to the guest network can see the home computers ?

The answer is NO , coz for new linksys routers , guest access network has different IP address from the home network.

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
jaymay

darrelm47 wrote:

Peanuts,

The computers connected to the guest network will NOT be able to see the computers connected to your home network. Just like what VALETLINKSYS said, the guest network is using another IP range which is 192.168..33.xxx which is totally different from the IP range of the home network - 192.168.1.x.

VALETLINKSYS

jaymay wrote:

darrelm47 wrote:

Peanuts,

The computers connected to the guest network will NOT be able to see the computers connected to your home network. Just like what VALETLINKSYS said, the guest network is using another IP range which is 192.168..33.xxx which is totally different from the IP range of the home network - 192.168.1.x.

Well explained jaymay.

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
cisconurd

The new line of cisco routers have this feature...

i.e. the EA3500

Misbah

wat5S

The guest feature on my router allows guests to log in but it never has internet connectivity.   My newest laptop has no problems logging into the main network but it very seldom has internet connectivity while my older laptop can sit right next to it with no problems.  What can be the issue?  Neither laptop has trouble logging into an e1200.

jaymay

wat5S wrote:

The guest feature on my router allows guests to log in but it never has internet connectivity.   My newest laptop has no problems logging into the main network but it very seldom has internet connectivity while my older laptop can sit right next to it with no problems.  What can be the issue?  Neither laptop has trouble logging into an e1200.

Try to disable and re-enable the guest network. If you have the cisco connect software installed on one of your computers, try to open it – click Start > All Programs > Cisco Connect Software. Once the software is open, click on the Guest Access tile then disable it from there. Once it is disabled, power the router off for a couple of seconds. Once the power light goes solid, try re-accessing the software again and re-enable the Guest Access. Check then if the connection on the guest network will work.

If you don’t have the software installed, access the setup page of your router. The Guest Access is under the Wireless tab where you can manage it’s settings.