Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PraetorianGuard

Guest password on E1000

Hello there,

Just bought myself an Cisco E1000 today and I am having problems figuring out what the "Guest" password is, how to change it and how to possibly disable it all together?.

The Cisco CD can't access my router now claiming i changed the admin password, which I havent done at all.

But is there some way to manually get access to said password, change it and/or disable guets access all together

Mort

Re: Guest password on E1000

It is not possible to change the guest network settings manually.

You need to use the Cisco connect software to change the guest access settings.

Did you try to change the wireless settings of your router manually?

If you change the wireless settings of the router manually then Cisco connect software will stop working.

I think if you want to use Guest network then you will need to reset the router and reinstall the Cisco connect on your computer.

ldness

What in the world was Cisco thinking in setting up their routers in this way?!?!  For a home user (or anyone not intentionally offering a wireless hotspot), providing an unsecured wireless network is one of the worst things that anyone could do from a security standpoint.  Not only will others steal access, but any illegal activity would be associated with the provider of the network.  For Cisco to provide such a setting BY DEFAULT is hard to imagine.  For them to make it difficult to disable it is unthinkable.

I heard that unsecured wireless networks were illegal in India, for good reason.  Do you offer another version of your router for sale there?

When I installed my first wireless network back in 2002, it installed it as unsecured.  When I went to put on the second node a week later, the default installation settings were to refuse to connect to unsecured networks.  Apparently Linksys learned something back then.  Why has it been forgotten?

Please provide a firmware fix immediately to remedy this.  It should be a simple setting in the web-based interface.

maximillano

@Idness - there are explanations for your, anyway, it's an opinion.

First: Where in U.S. did a router (cisco or 3rd party) broadcasts a secured network? If there is one, question is, is it approved by FCC?

Second: Guest access indeed is unsecured, but, were you able to go online immediately when you got connected to the guest network?

*What in the world was Cisco thinking in setting up their routers in this way?!?!

*I heard that unsecured wireless networks were illegal in India

- india is just another country. not all customers are from india. well,we would be more than happy if you can tell us what routers are secured by default which is approved by FCC...thanks...

~ Frank! At The Disco! ~

~AEVITAS JUVENIS~
~MORTIS AD ILLUD CONLATUS~

B1GGNZ

Tell me about it man ! Even to fill out the app to be able to reply to this conversation ,was a joke . Linksys needs to pull there heads out of the a hole .

Bstewart2

I could not agree more!  I just installed my new E1000 and was shocked to see that it automatically setup a guest access point that had no security, and what is worse there is no way in Cisco Connect to disable or at least secure it and there is no documentation on it either.

Cisco,  you have to do better then this.... what do I do now?

Feeling Insecure,

Bill

Expert
sabretooth

It's a Guest Account.  You don't need security.  It's just like going to McDonald's and getting on the Internet.  However you do need a password to access the Internet.    That's what it is for.  If you want security let them on your normal network and give them your security password for that.

D3matt

maximillano wrote:

@Idness - there are explanations for your, anyway, it's an opinion.

First: Where in U.S. did a router (cisco or 3rd party) broadcasts a secured network? If there is one, question is, is it approved by FCC?

Second: Guest access indeed is unsecured, but, were you able to go online immediately when you got connected to the guest network?

*What in the world was Cisco thinking in setting up their routers in this way?!?!

*I heard that unsecured wireless networks were illegal in India

- india is just another country. not all customers are from india. well,we would be more than happy if you can tell us what routers are secured by default which is approved by FCC...thanks...

I hate to burst your bubble, but secure wireless networks are not illegal. And the USA is just another country, not all customers are from the USA. We would be more than happy if you can tell is what routers are secured by default which is not approved by FCC... Thanks...

hixguy1

I disagree ... if anything, I want Cisco to make it easier to totally disable the security password feature.  Unlike you, I could really care less if anyone uses my access.  I have too many guest coming and going from my place to have to constantly worry about giving people a guest password.