sturisa

Having issues with WRT54GS router acquiring network address after wireless connection.

I've been experiencing problems acquiring a network address after making a wireless connection with the WRT54GS wireless router. I have a Comcast cable modem connected to the internet port of the router and after configuring the SSID and the 64 bit WEP key, I can connect to my router's SSID, but since I can't get an IP address, never connect to the Internet. I've already cloned the laptop's mac address to no avail. Even after configuring a static IP address, subnet mask and default gateway, still cannot connect. I can Ping and Traceroute from the router but not the PC. I can ping localhost and host IP address from the laptop but not the default gateway. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, SJ
ARCHANGEL_06

Re: Having issues with WRT54GS router acquiring network address after wireless connection.

Have you tried checking the status page on the router if you are getting an IP from the Internet? and the DNS too?

"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
gandalf

Re: Having issues with WRT54GS router acquiring network address after wireless connection.

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable.

Try to access the internet when you connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable.

Open the setup page of the router and go to Status page. Check the Internet IP address on the status page of the router.

If you are able to access the Internet with the Wired connection to the router then try to create a new wireless network on your router.

Open the setup page of the router and go to Wireless tab. Change the wireless network name SSID and change the channel to 11. Save the settings. Go to Wireless security sub tab and check the wireless security settings. Click on Wireless MAC filter sub tab and make sure that it is disabled. Click on Advanced wireless settings sub tab. Change the Beacon Interval to 75, RTS and fragmentation threshold to 2304. Save the settings.

Try to connect to the new wireless network and see if that works.

How many wired and wireless computers do you have in the network?

sturisa

Hi,

Yes, I am getting an IP address after cloning the PC mac address and I can also see the DNS servers on the status page. I received another reply to my post so I will try the recommendations from that.

Thanks,

SJ

sturisa

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give that a try. I had not even looked at the MAC filter sub tab or advanced wireless settings tab. I think the channel is set to channel 6, so I'll try channel 11. I only have the one laptop on the network so not much competition for bandwidth and it's right next to the cable modem and router so distance is not even a factor. This is actually my mom's computer and she lives in a high rise so there may be many other wireless networks in the area, probably all on channel 6. I'll let you know. BTW would you recommend running netstumbler to find out?

SJ

ARCHANGEL_06

I wouldn't go that way yet if these work. Maybe later on.

"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06