vskylinespec

Help 192.168.1.101 Problem

[ Edited ]
I have 4 Machines under one router. For some reason whichever machine that has the IP address of 192.168.1.101, has no internet. Its connected to the router, and i can ping the router and dns, but nothing such as websites or anything else. Ive been having this dilemma for about a week so far. Ive owned my wireless router for about a year. Any tips? I restarted the cable modem and router tons of times already. And nothing has been changed ever since in the router, only thing that has been ever touched is the Security, and port forwarding for my games.

thanks.....

again any computer that has the IP of .101 has no internet! why?!

Edit: router is WRT54G
I can ping DNS server as well.

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200712:06 AM

toomanydonuts

Re: Help 192.168.1.101 Problem

Are you using any fixed (static) LAN IP addresses on your network?  If so, list the addresses you are using.  Also, if you are not using the default DHCP server range of 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149  then please state your DHCP server range.
vskylinespec

[ Edited ]
I am sorry for being a noob. But I believe I am not using any fixed LAN IP addresses. And how do i check for the default DHCP settings? Command Prompt, CMD, Ipconfig?

thanks.

edit -

i think i found it, it's displayed in the router settings? Under Basic setup?

DHCP server enabled

Max DHCP Users - 50

and everything else under that is set to 0 Including the Static DNS1-3 and WINS

Edit 2 - Yeah, and its weird, I turn off all the computers and whichever computer has the IP address of .101 has no internet. Weird? It's never been like this before, Maybe my cat 5 is faulty? dsl phone line faulty? dsl modem faulty?

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200712:17 AM

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200712:19 AM

vskylinespec

[ Edited ]
Screenshot.

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200712:47 AM

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200712:48 AM

vskylinespec

[ Edited ]
Hey mr. doughnuts, i think i fixed it, i kinda did what you told me to do, or whatever, but i went into my LAN icon under network properties....and i gave my tcp/ip settings its own IP of 192.168.1.20 and now i have internet and so do the other computers....but it still troubles with me with that .101 issue..hm?

Message Edited by vskylinespec on 05-31-200701:04 AM

toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Your port forwarding table is complicated.  I assume you are enabling only one or two of these ranges at a time.  Obviously, several of the ranges overlap, so you cannot enable them all at once.

Also, it looks like you are forwarding lots and lots of ports.  Most of the games I have seen only require you to forward one to three ports for each game computer, not dozens of ports.

At any given time, a port can be forwarded to just one LAN IP address.  At any given time, you should not enable any overlapping port ranges.

Additionally, ports are normally forwarded to fixed (static) LAN IP addresses.  The reason for this is that if you forward them to a DHCP assigned address, then the same computer will not always get the same address -- so your port forwarding ends up going to the wrong computer.

I assume you are doing port forwarding to play games - is that correct?

You need to assign your game computer(s) a fixed (static) LAN IP address, then use port forwarding to forward the right ports to each game computer.  Your non-game computers can continue to use addresses assigned by the DHCP server.

Linksys has specific rules on assigning fixed LAN IP addresses.  You must follow these rules carefully:

Rules for using fixed LAN IP addresses on Linksys routers:

With Linksys routers, a fixed (static) LAN IP addresses must be assigned in the device that is using the address. So you need to enter the fixed address in the computer or printer, not in the router.

When using a Linksys router, any fixed LAN IP address must be outside the DHCP server range (typically 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.149), and it cannot end in 0, 1, or 255.

Therefore any fixed LAN IP address would normally need to be in the range of
192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.99 or
192.168.1.150 thru 192.168.1.254
assuming you are still using the default DHCP server range.

Also, in the computer, when you set up a static LAN IP address, you would need to set the "Subnet mask" to 255.255.255.0 and the "Default Gateway" to 192.168.1.1

It is also important that no two devices on your network be set to the same static LAN IP address.

For example, you might want to do something like the following:

Leave the DHCP server set at its default range of 192.168.1.100  thru  192.168.1.149    This will assign addresses to your non-game computers.

Then assign your game computers fixed LAN IP addresses:
Assign your first game computer the address of         192.168.1.21
Assign your second game computer the address of   192.168.1.22
Assign your third game computer the address of        192.168.1.23

Port forward some ports (check the game manual)  to  192.168.1.21
Port forward other ports to                                               192.168.1.22
Port forward still other ports to                                         192.168.1.23

This allows each game player to communicate separately to the online game  ---  note that each player is using a different port.   For example, when data arrives on port 6881, the router will know exactly which game player gets that data.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-31-200703:39 AM

toomanydonuts

If you are still having a problem with .101  then check to see if perhaps you have one of your computers already assigned to a fixed address of .101

If you do, you cannot do this.  Remember that fixed LAN IP addresses must be OUTSIDE the DHCP server range.
franknegrin

Help 192.168.1.101 Problem

[ Edited ]
hi im trying to find out how i can get to that purple screen that vskylinespec got into i cannot get into it for some reason i look at my computer ip and my linksis router is ok but still my internet doesnt let me open the purple screen when i put my IP in the search box can u plz tyell me what i should do

and my computer ip the ending is 1.100

Message Edited by franknegrin on 11-04-2007 07:41 AM
toomanydonuts

to franknegrin  ---

To view the router's web pages:

Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall.

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Check to see if your "modem-router" is using the same 192.168.1.x address space as your Linksys router. If it is, then report back with this problem, and also state the make and model of your modem-router.

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again.

If all of the above tips fail, you need to reset the router to factory defaults. Power down the router and disconnect all wires from it. Wait one minute. Power up the router, allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes), then press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release the button and allow the router to reset and reboot ( 2-3 minutes). Power down router. Wait one minute. Connect one computer, by wire, to a LAN port on the router. Boot up system. It should work.
rikivi

Sorry if I reply I can't find the way to write a message!!

My problem is similar but in same ways different

I ve trying to set up from the browser typing 192.168.1.101 once open the window the manual says about the user's name  "Leave in blank" and use the password "admin" for the first time. Didn't work. I need to enable the VPN Passthrough through "Security" so I can use my VPN.

Thanks