Farglebargle

Help! E2500 router can't share files between wired and wireless computers.

We just got a Linksys e2500 router for Christmas. We have a desktop computer running Windows XP using a cable connection to the router and a laptop running Windows 7 using a wireless connection. Both connect to the internet fine, but we can't get them to connect to each other for file sharing. I have them both set to the same workgroup name, but they don't appear on each others' lists of network connections. They can ping each other OK, but when trying to access shared files, the laptop only shows the laptop and the router, and the desktop only shows the desktop and the router. I tried the Cisco Connect Easy Setup wizard, using a USB key to share settings between the 2 computers with no luck.

I realize that you can't use the Windows 7 "homegroup" feature when connecting to an XP machine, but shouldn't there be some way to do it? Or is this caused by the fact that one connection is wired and the other is wireless? Do they both need to be the same for this to work, or is there a way to connect the wired and wireless networks together? The manual and knowlege base don't have much information on this.

Additional info: I have tried disabling the software firewalls on both machines, and have reset the router to factory defaults.

peanuts

Re: Help! E4200 router can't share files between wired and wireless computers.

Make sure the network discovery option is turned on in Windows 7. Here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/Enable-file-and-printer-sharing

Farglebargle

Re: Help! E2500 router can't share files between wired and wireless computers.

[ Edited ]

@peanuts: Thanks for the response, but I've already done that. Network discovery and file and print sharing are already enabled. IPs are set to automatic. Firewalls are turned off. The router is set to factory defaults. Besides using Cisco's Easy Setup procedure, I've also tried the standard XP and Windows 7 based network setup procedures. I've set up networks before using wired and wireless routers, without any problems, so I think I know the basic drill. But this is the first time with this model, and the first time on a mixed Windows XP / Windows 7 / wired and wireless network, so if there is something specific to this line of routers, or this configuration that might be preventing this from working, let me know.

PS. The subject line in your reply refers to an E4200 router. Just to clarify, I'm using an E2500, as stated in the original message.

peanuts

As you mentioned in your previous post that when you try to ping the IP address of one PC from another or vice versa, you get a reply. This shows, as far as communication is concerned, it is there. Its just some configuration of settings in windows itself.

Try this, go to the run window in XP computer and type in //192.168.1.x (IP address of second computer) and check if it shows the shared resources of the second computer or not?

Try the same on Win7 machine. In Win7, you could type it in search since there is no run option.

Farglebargle

@peanut. Hi again.

Sorry for the delay getting back. I tried what you suggested with no luck. The Windows 7 machine responds with a search window that says no results match my search. The XP machine gives an error saying the address doesn't exist.

I also finally reached Cisco's tech support, who told me the wired and wireless machines should indeed be able to see each other, and referred me to Microsoft to deal with any Windows issues. So I'm back to square one. At least they confirmed that the router doesn't have some inherent problem sharing files between wired and wireless connections, so I can focus on other possible causes.

So now, based on the results I'm getting, do you have any follow-up tests I can try?

bassmaster76

I am having very simiar problems.  I had ATT Uverse and was using their gateway for a router and my drive mapping and everything worked fine.  When I switched providers and got this router, that's when my problems start.  I can connect to the internet fine, map drives fine, but when I try to access the drive, I get "Access Denied" Errors

Expert
zee29

Hi. I have read a lot regarding this type of concern wherein there is difficulty in sharing files with a windows 7 and a windows xp computer. Microsoft would be experts on this but I found a post and hope that it will help you somehow.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Farglebargle

[ Edited ]

@bassmaster76: This is a bit of an old thread now, but I wish you luck with your problem. I've pretty much abandoned getting file sharing to work between the two computers originally mentioned using the Cisco 2500. We eventually solved the problem by doing what you did in reverse - we switched internet providers, and the new company provided their own wireless router as part of the package.

@zee29: Thanks for the try. Unfortunately the link you provided is one of dozens I tried before posting my question here. The instructions given, while useful for many, don't solve the problem for everyone. The concensus on many of the other forums I've visited is that Windows 7 / XP file sharing works on some computers and routers, but not on others. Nobody has been able to find a single definitive reason for the failure when it doesn't work. It's the luck of the draw. When it doesn't work, it's often easier, and less expensive in terms of troubleshooting time, to just replace components until you find a combination that works. I wish it were different, because I hate walking away from a problem like this in defeat, but sometimes you've just got to cut your losses. I'll save the router and maybe try it again in an all Windows 7 network if the opportunity presents itself.