pjake51

Help I Need my WEP key or WPA key

I set up my wireless service sometime way back when I got my laptop and then promptly had to unplug all and run from a hurricane. I just got around to hooking back up the wireless the other night (after a year) and want to use my laptop, but when I try to go onto the internet I get a message that says "The network requires a network key (also called a WEP key or WPA key).  A network key helps prevent unknown intruders from connecting to this network." 

Well I have no idea what the key was that I set back then or what was given to me.  Is there a way to find that key, and if not, is there a way to erase it (without having it) and put in a new one?  Or do I even need one at all?   I live in a subdivision with houses about 5 acres apart so there probably isn't going to be much worry about someone using my wireless network.  Any help in being able to use this laptop would be greatly appreciated. 

Pam
pjake51

Re: Help I Need to change my WEP key or WPA key

Well, I figured out what I did wrong by going to the Linksys Easy Link Advisor and that was wonderful.  I got into the computer, with the humongous amount of letters and numbers I had to type in.  This isn't going to work for me as I can't remember something that long and don't wish to have to do this all of the time. 

Is there a way to change it to something easy peasy like a name or a series of shorter numbers or what is the problem if I take it off entirely since I don't think anyone will be using my network.  I have no close neighbors.  I don't know what the distance of a network range is.  And if so, what is the process to change this code.  Thanks.

Pam 
Pio04

You can configure the router manually for this. Open http://192.168.1.1 on internet explorer. Leave the username blank and type admin on password. on the linksys setup page go to click on the wireless tab. Click on wireless security subtab. select WPA for the security mode. Change the pre-share key from that page. Make sure your doin this from the wired computer or while your laptop is connected wired to the router.  Reconnect to the network with your new key.

You may refer to this article:

How do I set up WPA on a Linksys Router?

You may refer to this image as well.

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
pjake51

I appreciate your reply to me.  I have that part fixed, but now when I go onto my laptop and try to access the internet I don't get anything.  It just sits there and when I went onto my connection page it shows there is a connection "wireless network connection" which shows connected, but there is also a "1394 Connection" that shows connected and I don't recall seeing that before.  It says it is a net adapter.  Could I have done something wrong when I changed the code?  The laptop shows an entirely different IP address than the regular Bellsouth IP address, plus it isn't the same as the wireless either.  I don't know how the different IP address got on there.  I am on 192.168.1.254 with Bellsouth and 192.168.1.1 on the wireless.  As you can see I am a newbie at this and not very computer literate.  Thanks  Pam
Pio04

if your gettting a 192.168.1.254 from the modem. your modem has a built in router which is conflicting with your linksys router. open the router setup page again and change the local ip address of the router to 192.168.2.1. save settings. Power off and on both your router and modem. check if you can get online.
:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
stephie

Re: Help I Need my WEP key or WPA key

need help with network key or WEP or WPA key
dave4036

I am trying to connect a nook to the computer and it is asking for my WPA/WPA2 PSK How can I find it or get it?

shaircon1970

neen to know were to find my wep key at

Expert
kent07

Check out the post of Pio04 that's where you need to be. Go to http://192.168.1.1, if your type of security is WEP you'll see a passphrase then four keys. The key 1 is your WEP key.

wmckeon