Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
TMXstyles
Accepted Solution

Home Network Setup Help ( Motorola & Linksys)

Hi,

I need help configuring my home network, I have created a diagram using gliffy.com to help view my current setup.

Currently all wired and wireless computers connect to the internet successfully, that's with default settings. The only thing I have changed is the SSID and Wireless password.

I need help figuring out the settings I need to input for the Motorola and the Linksys Routers so all computers can find each other in the network.

I really don't know what the exact technical terms might be, but if you need more information I can gather it. Thank you!

Linksys by Cisco - WRT54G Support

Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem Gateway

richard804

Re: Home Network Setup Help ( Motorola & Linksys)

Logon to your Linksys router and go to advance routing Disable the NAT.  It may appear as Gateway/router.  Your router will act like a switch.

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
TMXstyles

Thank you Richard for your response.

I did not see a NAT setting under Advance Routing, this are my current settings:

Advanced_Routing-Gateway-.jpg

I switched the Operating Mode from Gateway to Router and immediately lost internet connection, this are the settings that appeared:

Advanced_Routing-Router-.jpg

Under Dynamic Routing - RIP shows 4 options

Disabled

LAN & Wireless

WAN (Internet)

Both

I tried all 4 and still no Internet connection

This shows under Show Routing Table:

Show_Routing_Table.jpg

I saved the settings successfully without filling out the fields under Static Routing, but no internet connection. I switch back to Gateway and internet starts working right away.

What am I missing?

Thanks again

richard804

Change it from gateway to router and click on save.  Your ethernet cable should be plugged into the internet port on your Linksys.

Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
lordstag

[ Edited ]

Set the Linksys up with an IP on the modem's subnet.. 192.168.0.10 or whatever is free..Plug the modem into the LAN port of the Linksys rather than the internet port and turn off DHCP server on the linksys. You will have to renew the ip's of the clients that are connected to the linksys, but then they will get dhcp from the Modem and all will be on the same network.

TMXstyles

Thank you Richard for your help, but when I change it from Gateway to Router and click on Save, it looses Internet connection. :smileysad:

TMXstyles

Thank you lordstag!! worked perfectly

Linksys

Setup > Basic Setup >
Local IP Address

• Before: 192.168.1.1
  • After: 192.168.0.100
  • DHCP Server: Disable

LinkSys_DHCP.png

Connected network cable from Motorola LAN port 4 ---> Linksys LAN port 1, left the Internet port on the Linksys empty

Motorola
Basic > DHCP >

• DHCP Server: Yes
  • Starting Local Address: 192.168.0.100

Motorola_DHCP.png

Renewed the IP's of the clients

• 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.
  • 'ipconfig /renew' to obtain a new IP address

This is how my network now looks and works

One last question, could this have been done using the Internet port on the Linksys Router?

I appreciate all the help, Thanks again !

lordstag

[ Edited ]

If your router supports bridge mode it can be done with the internet port. I'm not sure if it does or not, but it's essentially the same thing, it bridges the LAN and WAN into a switch of 5 ports instead of 4 and a WAN. If your router does support it, it would be on the main setup page. Based on your screenshot I'd guess no.

brickmonkey

There are two ways to connect a Linksys router to another router:

1. LAN to LAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the second Linksys router to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router.

This connection makes the computers connected to both routers to be on the same LAN IP segment. This will allow sharing of resources within the network.

2. LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router to the Internet port (WAN port) of the second Linksys router.

This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments. Thus, computers that are connected to router A will not be able to communicate with router B, and vice versa since they are two different networks.

TMXstyles

Thank you richard804 & lordstag  & brickmonkey !