Highlighted

Home Networking Best Practice for Performance

[ Edited ]

Hi there first time poster.  I have 3 wireless routers at home (Linksys WRT54G's) .  I have WEP password setup for security and everything works great.  My only question is, is there anything I can look for in the settings that may boost intranet and internet.  Just trying to make sure I have the settings set to get the best performance.  2 of the routers have a linksys firmware on it the other has something called talisman.  These were given to me.

I know that one thing I can do is change the antennae on them to boost the wireless signal but I'm not sure if that improves the performance.  I assume that would come from settings.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Home Networking Best Practice for Performance

So you need to improve the wireless signal on your computers. Here are some settings which you do it on your router, i think this might improve the wireless signal strength on your computers.

Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin in lower case...
For Wireless Settings, please do the following : -
Click on the Wireless tab
-Here select manual configuration...Wireless Network mode should be mixed...
-Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Wireless channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...
For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WEP, Encryption should be 64 bits.Leave the passphrase blank, don't type in anything...
Under WEP Key 1 type in any 10 numbers please(numbers only and no letters eg: your 10 digit phone number) and click on save settings...
Please make a note of WEP Key 1 as this is the Security Key for the Wireless Network...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect... And check the signal strength on your computers.

what if u have 3 routers linked via the wireless mac addresses, do they all need to ssid broadcast?  or just 1?

No because the SSID is a fancy name for network Identifacation. If all three routers are under one network then you only need one name.

By the way, on a side note, WEP is the easiest encryption to crack.
I would recommend enabling WPA.

WPA2 is even better but I am not sure whether you need to first flash your particular mode or not.

You also need to check whether your wireless adapters ALL support it...

If they do not ALL support WPA (or WPA2), then you can ignore this, or, better yet, buy new adapters that do support WPA2 (you can get great top-rated 300 Mbps adapters ones for under $28)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4534747_wpa-key-wrtg-linksys-router.html

http://www.tekstenuitleg.net/en/articles/networking/wireless-security-guide/configure-wpa.html

E4200: How do I change the default name for the guest network?

I named my network "abc," and the system appends "-guest" to it, i.e.., "abc-guest", to use as the guest network name. I want to hide the name of the primary/private network completely. Why can't I do that? I know I can use a different password. 

Re: E4200: How do I change the default name for the guest network?

this question kind of hijacks the thread, which isn't related to your question at all; i'd recommend starting a new thread for this question (please do - i'm interested in the answer too!).

regards...