RoundRock9

Home networking problem with new WRH54G

I just bought a new WRH54G to replace my old BEFW11S4v2 which was experiencing drop outs.  I have a simple network with two PCs wired to the router sharing a cable modem Internet connection.  The PCs are both running XP.  With the new router the PCs can each access the Internet but don't seem to be able to see each other on the LAN.  I stick in the old router and the PCs see each other and share files.  I put in the new router and I get a message saying I don't have sufficient permissions to access other PCs.  I swap the routers - works fine with the old, doesn't work with the new.  I have run the XP Home Networking Wizard repeatedly but the results don't change.  Have I missed a configuration parameter on the new router?  I tried Online Chat but the guy had me run the Wizard again and then he disappeared.
brickmonkey

Re: Home networking problem with new WRH54G

For file sharing you can try this link .........
Hope it will help........
RoundRock9

Re: Home networking problem with new WRH54G

Thanks for the suggestion - that's what the Online Chat person suggested last night.  Remember, I described that everything works fine with my old router (BEFW11S4) (except for the continual disconnects).  File and printer sharing is turned on and configured correctly on the PCs.  It's only when I replace the old router with the new router (WRH54G) that the two PCs can no longer see each other.  Linksys experts keep telling me to turn on file sharing - but it's been on and working for years.  There's something about replacing the old router with the new router.

Anyway, I've located the problem in general terms.  I recently installed Norton 360 on both computers.  Norton 360 contains a firewall.  When I turn off this firewall everything works.  It's my problem and not Linksys'.  I had checked the Microsoft firewall but didn't realize that Norton 360 also had a firewall.  I don't know why the old router works - I've got to check on that.  Maybe this experience will help somebody else.