Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bobby_J

Hooking up multiple wireless routers

I have a Linksys wireless router hoked to my cable modem downstairs. Everything is working, however the signal is poor in some areas upstairs. I have run an ethernet cable from one of the wireless router's output ports to an upstairs room which is the furthest away from the wireless router. This connection works for my son's Xbox. I want to connect a second wireless router to the ethernet cable upstairs creating a second zone, then connect the Xbox directly to the second wireless router. Can this be done? Do I just connect the upstairs ethernet cable to the input ethernet on the second router? I mainly want to share an internet connection. One of the computers is a Mac.

Thanks so much
sharkbyte

Re: Hooking up multiple wireless routers

It will work.. just simply change the LAN IP of the 2nd wireless router to 192.168.2.1 to avoid conflict with the IP of the 1st wireless router... :smileyvery-happy:
Bobby_J

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean I will login to the second router using 192.168.2.1 initially, or will I use 192.168.1.1 then change it? I currently have a wireless-B router, so I will purchase two new wireless-G routers. Each will have it's own unique SSID as well.

Again, thanks so much
sharkbyte

Login using 192.168.1.1.. then change it... then go to the DOS prompt and do ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew... :smileyhappy:
Bobby_J

Yes,it's me asking more questions. A friend let me borrow a D-Link wireless G router as a test. I hooked it to the ethernet line upstairs but it didn't work..the Mac could not log-in (yes, it's IP address is different from the linksys and I was using the correct address). I sent an email to D-Link and they replied that I could not connect two wireless routers together (at least not two of their routers) unless I used a cross-over cable connected between output ports on the two routers. It has always been my understanding that a cross-over cable was used to connect two computers together. This is not what I had in mind. I'm not certain D-Link understood what I am trying to do, and I prefer to use two Linksys routers (I just don't want to spend money unless I am certain it will work). So I thought I would clarify what I want to do.

I have a linksys wireless router connected to a cable modem. I want to run an ethernet cable from that router to another wireless router thus sharing the internet. I was planning on connecting a standard ethernet cable from one of the output ports on the current wireless router to the "Input" port on the second router. I thought I understood your response, however after receiveing the response from D-Link...I am confused.
ripsap

OR...you could do what I did ( I have vonage they supply a standard router i wanted wireless also) I turned off dhcp, setup security and gave my wireless router a static IP out of the dhcp range (192.168.15.50). By doing this it passes IP addresses from the 1st router and acts as a wirless switch with no router features.
bhgrove

I have done this several times

1)  sign in to the #2 router and change the ip to 192.168.2.1

2)  turn off  dchp

3)  save changes and close

3)  plug the cable from your #1 router (any outlet 1-4 ) into the #1 outlet  (not the internet inlet) of your #2 router

Sir.eyecold

What you'd like to do is called Cascading or connecting two routers. Follow the instructions in this tutorial or info and remember to set the setttings for the second router regarless of its brand.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=17191

Good and luck!