Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
VectorSam

How To Connect 2 wrt54g's Together

Hi Guys, Newbee here, I have cable internet access. I am trying to make the following set-up but I am having issues. Tried Linksys instructions but they don't work. The setup is as follows:
Surfboard cable modem, then directly to wrt54g. One lead goes directly to another wrt54g (to act as range extender) The 1st WRT54g has a 24 port hub on the second port. The second WRT54g has a 16 port hub attached, and will have another 16 port in due course.
The 1st WRT54g is in my basement with the 24 port hub, and a voip box, the 2nd WRT54g is on my 1st floor with the first 16 hub, and the last 16 hub will be on the 2nd floor.
I would like both WRT54g' to create a nice large, strong wireless envelope and supply the hubs. They should all work at 100mbps when hard wired. Both Wrt54g' have upgraded antennaes.
What settings do I need to change on the 1st WRT and what should I change on the 2nd WRT? You help, guidance and advice is greatly welcomed. Thanks.
forsaken

Re: How To Connect 2 wrt54g's Together

from what i understand is , you are trying to create a roaming network with the two routers...the connections should be as mentioned below
wrt54g-1 -->> hub >> LAN port number 1 of wrt54g-2 >>hubs  
the ip add of the wrt54g-1 is 192.168.1.1 .. change the ip add of the wrt54g-2 to 192.168.1.2 and disable its DHCP server
the wireless settings on both the routers should be same....

VectorSam

Thanks very much for your reply. I am taking a lead from wrt-1 port 4 to the uplink port of wrt-2, therefore I am assuming that is correct but NOT to connect anything to wrt-2 port 1? Keep ALL settings the same and change the ip add of wrt-2. Am I right in all the above? please advise.
The idea behind all of this and the 24-port and the 2 16-ports is to create a nice wide strong area whereby our laptops will work well and uniterupted and our other hardware, (printers etc) can run hard-wired. All running at 100mbps. The building we are in in long and tall, so we added booster aerials from Linksys to help every inch of the way. We understand that the wireless will max at 54mbps, however one day we could switch out the router/gateways and go even faster maybe.
Thanks very much.
Warm Kind Regards
forsaken

Well you need to make LAN to LAN connections between these two routers…LAN port of WRT-1 to any LAN port of WRT-2, change a LAN IP of WRT-2 to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server…