Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
JJDetroit

How To Reserve An IP Address

I purchased a wireless print server, which "looked" at my network and assigned itself an IP address which ends in 201. The instructions for the print server said I should reserve that IP address. But in looking at various screens in my WRT54G router, I can't figure out how to do that. The router keeps assigning an IP address to the print server that ends in 101, and that "breaks" the print server.
brodeyo

Re: How To Reserve An IP Address

[ Edited ]
Are you able to log into the print server and set it to a static IP address.  It doesn't look as if the WRT54G can reserve ip address's based on mac like other models.  Another thing you can do is assign all devices on your network to static ips except for the print server.  Then on the main page  set the "starting IP address"= 201. Port forwarding/triggering is also an option...

Message Edited by brodeyo on 08-14-2008 05:23 AM
JJDetroit

>> Are you able to log into the print server and set it to a static IP address.  <<

The print server sets its own static IP address. I'm supposed to be able to log into it, but haven't been able to so far.

>> It doesn't look as if the WRT54G can reserve ip address's based on mac like other models.  <<

There IS a screen where I can enter MAC addresses, but apparently it's only for restricting the devices which can use the router.

>> Another thing you can do is assign all devices on your network to static ips except for the print server.  Then on the main page  set the "starting IP address"= 201. <<

Hmm, I'll give that a try. If I assign an address for a PC that uses 100 in the last field, it will still connect OK, even if the router is set with a 201 "starting address"? The starting address only affects addresses handed out via DHCP?

>> Port forwarding/triggering is also an option... <<

Not something I've ever gotten into.
brodeyo

Yes, you should be able to assign anything in the last octect.. Give it a try...If it doesn't work, come back with your print server model, and we can review it's settings to see if we can assign it a static ip.
JJDetroit

>> Another thing you can do is assign all devices on your network to static ips except for the print server. <<

Started to do this, and then remembered the instructions on the print server said PC's on my network had to use dynamic IP and DNS :smileysad:
JJDetroit

>> If it doesn't work, come back with your print server model, and we can review it's settings to see if we can assign it a static ip. <<

It's a Netgear WGPS606. I didn't see any way in the setup screens that I could assign an IP to it, but maybe I could if I could get into the "management" screens afterwards. I'll check with Netgear and see how I can get into the management screens.
brodeyo

In reviewing the following instructions, it looks as if you can assign it a static ip address (page 10).    When you go to set up the print on a pc, the software will search the network for the ip address and setup the printer.

Check it out.
JJDetroit

>> In reviewing the following instructions, it looks as if you can assign it a static ip address (page 10).  <<

The print server is holding the address OK. The problem is that the router keeps changing what IT thinks the print server's address is. I tried setting my PC to a static address, but then I lost network and Internet connectivity for it. AND the router still assigned a different address to the print server. If I go back to a static address for the PC, and disable DHCP on the router, should everything work OK? Or do I have to tell the router what static addresses to permit on the network? 
Mort

For the wired Print Server all you need to do is reset the Print Server for 30 seconds in such a way that power light is blinking on the Print Server & then doa power cycle. Now, as this is done all you need to do is forward the printer ports for the Print Server & it should work properly....

JJDetroit

>> For the wired Print Server all you need to do is reset the Print Server for 30 seconds in such a way that power light is blinking on the Print Server & then doa power cycle. <<

This is a wireless print server, NOT a wired one.

>> Now, as this is done all you need to do is forward the printer ports for the Print Server & it should work properly.... <<

I'll look at the documentation for my WRT54G and see if I can figure out what you're talking about.