Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Speedracer24

How To Stop DHCP Address from Expiring?

I have a WRT54G router and I use a WET54G Wireless Bridge to allow my ReplayTV to access the Internet through it for programming, etc (along with accessing the Internet with my PC's). However, the DHCP table only gives out the address for up to 7 days if I set the Client Lease Time to 9999. Then I have to unplug the wireless bridge and reset the Ethernet address in ReplayTV. This is a weekly chore and pain in the butt. How can I make it so that the address assigned to the bridge and also the ReplayTV does not expire as this unit does not understand when a address expires and a new one is given? Would I need to changeover to all static addresses not dynamic? If so, is there a guide on exactly how to do this somewhere. Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How To Stop DHCP Address from Expiring?

you can set your ReplayTV for a static IP adress and DNS servers so you will get constant internet... there's no need for you to set the WET54G to a static IP adress cuz by default it's set to static IP adress already...

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
Speedracer24

14firewall - Thanks for the reply. My question is how? You mention "set your ReplayTV for a static IP adress and DNS servers so you will get constant internet". How can I do this if the ReplayTV gets the address through the Bridge which gets reset every 7 days by the router? Sorry to be a pain but I'm not too technically minded with this stuff. Thanks in advance for your help.

well.. i wish I know how to configure your ReplayTV to set it to static IP adress and DNS servers so your router will not keep on reshing it's IP adress... let me check a website I can direct you that will tell you how...

basically, the router will keep on refeshing it's IP adress for the devices and computers connected to it for a given period of time.. unless you're using a wrt300n that has a feauture to set a static IP on a computer or a device you wanted a fixed IP adress of...

i'll let you know when I found one that will tell us how to set a static IP adress on your ReplayTV

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
Expert
Expert

DHCP address expiration should not make any trouble. Maybe setting the value to 9999 does confuse your device. All the expiration time says is that within this interval the address has to be renewed. It does not mean that the address has to change or anything similar. It is just a mechanism to prevent from filling up your DHCP address range with devices that are no longer connected thus blocking those addresses from being assigned to others. And even after expiration the DHCP server would not reassign an address to a different device as long as the old device is still responding on the IP address as the DHCP server does check that before (very important after a reboot of your router which flushes the DHCP address table).

Therefore, if you have trouble with IP address renewals it is most likely your device. If it is configured for DHCP it should automatically renew the address before it expires. If it does not, the DHCP client implementation is most likely incorrect. Generally, I do not recommend to change the DHCP lease time in the router. I would reset it and try to locate the problem from there. To me, it sounds as if either the devices connected are either misconfigured or faulty. In particular the WET54G should not "loose" its dynamic DHCP address. Are all connected devices correctly setup to use dynamic IP addresses via DHCP?
Speedracer24

firewall - Thanks again for your help with this.

gv - I used to have the Client Lease Time set to the default of "0" but it would lose the address after 1 day (24 hours). I agree that the problem appears to be with the WET54G bridge not my ReplayTV device. I cannot access the bridge remotely with the correct URL now for some reason. Do you have any idea what setting in the bridge might be causing me all of these problems? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert
Expert

I would contact Linksys support. This sounds like a faulty device to me.