jaybar

How can I port forward with a dynamic IP?

I am using mirc and need to port forward, BUT, I only have a dynamic IP. I am very new to this, but most of what I read says I need a static IP.  Is there a work-around? Can one port forward with a dynamic IP?

Thanks,

Jay
Expert
Expert

Re: How can I port forward with a dynamic IP?

Where do you have a dynamic IP address? On the internet connection or on your computer?

On the computer, you change the IP address in the network connections control panel, clicking on the connection you are using, choosing properties, then select "TCP/IP" in the list of elements in the middle and press the Properties button again. Theer you can enter a static IP address. To find the correct values for all the fields (IP address, subnet mask, gateway, dns server) I would recommend to open a command prompt window ("Run..." and "cmd") and enter "ipconfig /all". Look for the active connection. The IP address is something in 192.168.1.100-149, subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, dns server might be 192.168.1.1 as well or something completely different. Copy all those values except the IP address into the window to configure the static IP address. You must change the IP address. Choose any available address in 192.168.1.2-99,150-254. This IP address will be the IP address to which you have to configure the port forwarding.

On the internet connection you usually don't have an option or only a pricey option. ISPs assign dynamic IP addresses. If you want a fixed IP address in the internet, you usually have to pay for it. This would be the easiest option for you. If you don't want to do that, you have to live with the dynamic IP address in the internet connection. You can ease things a little by using a dynamic DNS (DDNS) service like dyndns.org. You can probably (I don't know which router you have thus I have to guess...) setup the router to use a DDNS service. With a DDNS service you can get a hostname (e.g. "jaybar.dyndns.org") in the internet which points to your current internet IP address. When the IP address changes your router will update the IP address with the DDNS service. This way your router and your internet connection is easier to find. Without DDNS you would have to tell people your IP address which you have at that time (and update it if it changes...)
jaybar

My ip config settings change every hour.  Will this effect what the previous poster suggested?

Thanks,

Jay
jaybar

GV-

Your suggestion does not seem to work.

When I  do this, as you suggest, I can no longer also browse the internet.  I need to both port forward for mirc and also browse the internet.

Thanks,

Jay
Expert
Expert

First: please answer the question I asked!! I still don't know if this is about the internet IP address or the IP address on the computer.

Second: I suggested several things depending on what the exact problem is (which I still don't know). If you changed something, please post exactly what you have changed from what to what. Otherwise it is pretty hard to help you.

Maybe it would be good to copy the output of "ipconfig /all" into your next post as well. (right-click into the window) That would answer a lot of questions.
jaybar

GV-

I can't answer your questions, because I am not that technically adroit.  What I want to do is to configure things so that MIRC will DCC.  This seems to require port fowarding, according to most articles I have read.  I have no idea whether this relates to the  internet or the computer, as this relates to the IP.

I can now at least get on the internet, IF I set the IP address to below where the starting address is for the DHCP server.  Whether or not this will work with MIRC, I have no idea yet.

I can get a static IP, but my ISP wants to charge me $19.95 a month.  Are the benefits worth it?

Thanks,

Jay
Expert
Expert

O.K. One last third time:

Click "Start"
Click "Run..."

Enter "cmd". Press "OK".

A command prompt window appears on the screen.

enter

ipconfig /all

Now scroll up a little to the beginning of the output. Right-click into the window, select Mark (or similar) mark the first text lines from the output, right-click again, select Copy. Go into the browser and select Paste to paste the text into the window. Then continue with the rest of the output lines. If you are unable to copy the output of this command into a post, then, honestly I believe you should find someone to help you in person.

For a complete picture, go in your browser to http://192.168.1.1/ click on the Status tab and copy the current connection status into your next post. This shows how your router connects to the internet.

And also: you do know that your IP address changes. Thus you must know which one it is. Is it the private one (192.168.1.*) or a different one. From which to which does it change. You would not know that the IP address changes if you would not know where the IP address is...

I cannot tell you if there is any benefit getting a static IP address yet, as I don't even know what the exact problem is.

Moreover, if you have a link to an article which describes what port forwardings you require, please post the URLs into your next post. Please use HTML notation to shorten the links, e.g.

<a href="URL">link 1</a>

otherwise long links will make this thread unreadable. Put the URL of the link between the quotes replacing the text URL in the above line.
jaybar

Thanks GV

It worked.

What confused me was in your original note you referred to the IP address being something in the range of 192.168.1.100-149.  When I did an ipconfig /all i got a somewhat different active ip address.  Once I accepted that that could be the case, I then followed your note and things worked well.

Jay
Donut

[ Edited ]

With port forwarding the static IP it states it needs is the internal IP address. For example 192.168.1.xx is an internet IP address, it is only seen on our side of the network. Your ISP IP address has nothing to do with it. You need to set the IP address of the puter its self as static. Make sure the IP you choose is not with in the routers DHCP range.

TO set the IP you need to go in to the network Properties In the the TCP/IP section and tell it you want to put an IP in.

This is the way Linksys says to do it:  Assigning Static IP Address on a Wired Computer

Again this is an internal IP address, it is not displayed on the internet.

(Mod Note : Added hyperlink)

Message Edited by Beetlebum on 02-22-2007 06:19 PM