abbygabby

How do I block neighbors from using my router's signals

I have the WRT54G v.3, and I just recently found out that one of my neighbors has been accessing the internet thru my router.  I want to stop this, but,  I am not sure how or what to do - also, my daughter will be getting a new laptop in the next 2 weeks, so I don't want to mess things up so she can't pick up signal!  Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do, and if I shold wait til the new computer comes in before I do anything??
Expert
Expert

Re: How do I block neighbors from using my router's signals

The manual and the technical support pages from Linksys are always worth reading as they contain detailed instructions often with screen shots...

Open your browser at http://192.168.1.1/

Enter no username and the password you have set during initial setup. If you did not do the initial setup or you did not set a password the default is "admin".

Click on Wireless.

Change the network name/SSID from "linksys" to something unique.

Press "Save Settings"

Click Wireless Security.

Choose security mode "WPA2 Personal".

Choose WPA Algorithms "TKIP+AES".

Enter a strong, hard to guess shared key.

Press "Save Settings"

If you used the default password "admin" before then you should change that, too. Click "Administration". Enter a new strong password and press "Save Settings" again. After that you have to authenticate again with the new password.

When you have the new computer with a wireless card let it search for wireless networks. It should find your network with the SSID you have assigned before. Once you try to connect to that SSID it should automatically determine that it is WPA2 and should ask for the shared key in the wireless security page. After you have entered it it should properly connect.
abbygabby

When I went into security, I am not give the option you describe- I have WPA Pre-shared key, WPA Radius, and Radius.
Ikester

You may want to download and installe the latest firmware for your router.  That may give you more options.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
The "Radius" options are for business, and they usually involve using a server.
Generally home users should be using WPA, or preferably WPA2.

WPA  is sometimes called WPA-personal, or WPA-preshared key, or WPA-PSK, or simply PSK.

WPA2 is sometimes called WPA2-personal, or WPA2-preshared key, or WPA2-PSK, or PSK2.  Some systems may call this option "WPA with AES" .

Please note that Windows XP requires a patch to run WPA2. Go to Microsoft Knowledge base, article ID=893357 and it will direct you to the patch.
Sadly, the patch is not part of the automatic Windows XP updates, so lots of people are missing the patch.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 05-24-200711:47 PM