Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jlharlan

How do I change my Connection from Unsecured to Secured - Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2

I've never used a wireless router before, but I did figure out how to get it to work on my new PC laptop. However, I can't figure out how to change it from Unsecured to Secured. I've checked the tutorials and the Article titled: Title: Setting-Up WEP, WPA or WPA2 Wireless Security on a Linksys Wireless Router Article ID: 19073 It explains it very well, however the instructions/screenshots are different than what I'm showing. The instructions I get when I log on to the server are from linksys and the instructions I'm getting from the article above are from Cisco. Different instructions. The Linksys instructions don't have a tab for Windows that allows the selection for Windows Security to select WPA. I do see a tab for a Password, but that's for the Router and I'm not asked to enter a password when I try and connect to the Internet. I'm beginning to wonder if this router even allows for a secured connection. Can you please assist me. Thank you.
Expert
sabretooth

Re: How do I change my Connection from Unsecured to Secured - Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2

I'm pretty sure your router is so old it only supports WEP.  Download the manual on the Linksys web site and read it to see how to set your security.

Gabby

Re: How do I change my Connection from Unsecured to Secured - Linksys BEFW11S4 v.2

What you have is the old interface. Look for Wireless on the left side you'll see "ESSID" or "SSID" then Channel and WEP. Select Mandatory then click on WEP Key setting. Follow that article how to create a key. Save the settings and check if your wireless is locked.