Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
fpbear
Accepted Solution

How do I disable guest access on E1000?

I want to disable the guest access connection on E1000 wireless router but this option is not in the firmware menu.  So, now I read that I need to use Cisco Connect on the CD to change this feature.  When I run the Cisco Connect software, it says it can't configure the router (probably because I already have it configured).  Why doesn't the Cisco Connect software simply take me to the settings where I can change the guest access feature?  Why does it try to re-configure the router?  Whoever designed this at Cisco was probably smokin some medical MJ because it doesn't make any sense that I have to go through so many hoops to do something so simple.

Expert
sabretooth

Re: How do I disable guest access on E1000?

Hard reset the router by pressing the reset button in back for 30 seconds and release.  Wait 10 seconds and power cycle the router.  Remove Cisco Connect from your computer completely.  Now re install Cisco Connect and configure the router and turn off the Guest Access.

troia

go to the computer where you have installed the Cisco connect software. follow this link on how to disable the guest access

helpful1

He can't get into Cisco Connect so that link will not work.  Please read his issue.  He has to totally set up the router from scratch and Cisco Connect in order to work with the Guest Account.

fpbear

When I download the Cisco Connect software and run it, it says that it can't find the network and then it asks me for the SSID and the Password.

I am afraid to give it the SSID and Password that I have manually setup because I don't know if Cisco Connect will wipe out all of my settings if I continue further.

If I enter the SSID and Password in this dialog, will it allow me to configure the guest access without touching any of my other manually configured settings (that I set through 192.168.1.1)?

troia

@helpful1, fpbear is not sure if he did install the cisco connect software "(probably because I already have it configured)"

@fpbear, if you installed the router using the CD, you probably have cisco connect software installed. please check your computer. if you did not install it using the CD; and set it up manually by using the web page setup; follow the instructions by sabretooth. there is no way on the E1000 to disable the guest password if you do not use cisco connect.

fpbear

Thanks troia.  I only used Cisco Connect initially and then later changed to configure the router manually.   This is unbelievable that I would have to hard-reset the router just to change such a simple setting.  I'm still convinced, whoever designed it this way at Cisco must've been on drugs because no normal person would think this way.

troia

haha. well i think they got it figured out now as the newer routers now have an option to disable the guest account on the router's setup page. its just on these bit older routers that they do not.

twinker

[ Edited ]

Thank you Troia!:smileyhappy: