CliffC

How do I get Windows XP to forget wireless settings

I've had a perfectly good wireless network for several years using a WRT54GS router wired to my dektop machine. My laptop has connected wirelessly with no problems. I was using WEP security.

Recently I added a Logitech Squeezebox Duet to the network along with a WRE54G Range Expander. This combination required that I change the security to WPA-TKIP. In order to do this, I ended up giving the network a totally new name and setting it up manually in XP on my desktop using the Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard. This works for a while, but then at seemingly random times Windows reverts the network back to WEP security. I'd like to go into XP and wipe out all the past wireless network info, but I can't find any way to do it. The Help says there should be a Wireless tab in the Network connections window, but I don't have one. I'm not sure if this is because I have a wired connectioni to the router or because the Linksys router isn't supported or what?

Any ideas how to clean out all the Windows information, or any other thoughts on getting Windows to forget WEP?

toomanydonuts

Re: How do I get Windows XP to forget wireless settings

In the computer, go to your wireless adapter software, and go to "Preferred Networks" (sometimes called "Profiles" ). There are probably a few networks listed. Delete any network named "linksys". Also delete any network that you do not recognize, or that you no longer use.  Delete your current new network (this will remove any old settings.)  Reboot computer.  Now return to "Preferred Networks" and re-enter your current new network info (SSID, encryption, and key). Then select your current new network and make it your default network, and set it to automatic login. You may need to go to "settings" to do this, or you may need to right click on your network and select "Properties" or "settings".  Reboot computer.  You should connect automatically to your new network (this can take up to 2 minutes).
CliffC

That's the other part of my problem. I have no wireless option in my Network Connections folder. Was there some piece of software that came with my WRT54GS that was supposed to be installed? If so, I can't find it anywhere, and I still have the original CD and documentation that came with the router. Since this router is eithernet connected to the PC, I'm not clear on whether there should be such an option.
richard804

You have to log on to your router to change your wireless settings.  Once you change the settings to WPA with TKP, go to your equipment running wirelessly and click on the new network and insert passphrase that you set up in router.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
CliffC

I'm afraid I may have confused things by jumping to conclusions about where my problem was, so let me start over:

1. I have a Desktop machine that has a wired connection to my WRT54GS Router/Access Point. The internet connection is through the Router and there is also a wired Network Printer on the network. All of this is working properly in all cases.

2. I have a Laptop machine that has a wireless connection through the Router. This machine can see and use both the internet and the Network Printer whether my wireless security is set up as WEP or as WPA.

3. When I set up my wireless security as WEP I can connect from my Laptop to my Desktop and access the Desktop files. I just reverted my security to WEP this morning and confirmed that this is working.

4. However, when I set my wireless security as WPA, I can not access the Desktop machine even though the internet and Network Printer access is working properly (which must mean the wireless network itself is properly configured).

I have been assuming that I must set up wireless network access on the Desktop machine in order for my laptop to access it. Is this correct? If so, I have been unable to get WPA security set up using the Windows Wireless Network Setup Wizard. It keeps reverting to WEP. And I have no wireless tab in the Network Connections folder. I need WPA security to get my Squeezebox to work, so I'm stuck.

CliffC

Re: How do I get Windows XP to forget wireless settings - SOLVED

Well, I'm back in business even though I don't really understand why.

The trick turned out to be to first get everything connected under WEP, and then use Network Magic from my Laptop to reset the security to WPA. After I did this and reset my Laptop's wireless settings to match, I got my whole network back, including my Desktop. I did not need to touch anything on the Desktop.

I would swear I tried the same thing unsuccessfully both manually (resetting the router security directly) and using Network Magic from my Desktop. So I have no idea why I now have eveyrthing. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope it sticks for good this time. I had all of this (Laptop, Desktop, Squeezebox) working before with WPA, and then it suddenly stopped yesterday. We'll see.

dibbler

Well in that case would suggest you to try resetting the router for 30 seconds in such a way that power light is blinking on the router. Also, ensure that you unplug the power cables from both the modem & router & then plug the power cable to the modem first once the lights are solid green on the modem you could plug the power cable to the router & then try setting the router once again based upon your Internet Service Provider & it should work properly.
toomanydonuts

I am glad to see that you got your network working.

I see no reason to reset your router, as suggested in the previous post.

In answer to your question, you do not need to setup wireless network access in your Desktop computer, because you are connecting it to your router by ethernet cable.  You would only need to setup wireless network access in your Desktop if it had a wireless adapter, and you wanted your Desktop computer to access your WRT54GS wirelessly.

CliffC

Thanks for clearing up the desktop question for me. I didn't seem logical that I would have to set up wireless on my desktop since it was wired to the router, but on the other hand it isn't logical to me when my laptop connected wirelessly can see the wired internet access and the wired network printer but can't see my wired desktop. And whatever this state the network got in to, the wired desktop couldn't communicate over the wireless part of the network even though it could communicate to the internet and the wired network printer. That's what first tipped me to my problem, because my music server on the desktop couldn't see my wireless receiver and the music stopped. I'm still mystified by that and the fact that I had to stand on my head to get everything back working.

One clue perhaps is that when the music stopped and I went to take a look at my desktop my UPS had popped up a message that it had taken a power hit. My computer, router and modem are on the UPS, but I have a range extender that isn't, and the music receiver isn't either. I wonder if the range extender went down and then couldn't get back in sync somehow? But then why would the laptop be able to get to everything but the desktop machine? It doesn't make sense to me. At this point I just hope it doesn't happen again.

toomanydonuts

Keep in mind that the difference between "Net Working" and "Not Working"  is just one byte!