jrmycmpfan

How do I make my wireless internet password protected?

I set up my wireless router and went to the 192.168.1.1 to set up everything. But how do I make it password protected, so unwanted people can't access my wireless internet? I did it before but can't figure it out again, haha. I went to Wireless>>>Wireless Security, which default the security mode is set to disabled. Should I enable it? If so, which one? This is my house, by the way. WPA Personal WPA Enterprise WPA2 Personal WPA2 Enterprise RADIUS WEP If this is all wrong, then where do I go to enable a password?
diaz1023

Re: How do I make my wireless internet password protected?

log into your router and go to the administration section, that is were you change the password to log into your router
Felipe Diaz
using WRT600n
jrmycmpfan

That is the password to access the router and its settings on the linksys website. I mean, how do I make a password or where, so outside parties can't access my wireless internet? How do I protect it?
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
Yes. You should enable it. Otherwise anyone in your proximity can access your wireless LAN, your computers and your internet connection.

You should use WPA2 Personal with AES and a strong longer passphrase to get the highest security. The passphrase can be up to 63 characters long. But it kind of depends on what your wireless clients can do which you must connect. Depending on how old the computers/wireless cards are some can only do WPA, some only WEP. You should not use WEP unless absolutely necessary. WEP can be cracked within minutes. WPA and WPA2 are considered secure at this time.

Thus, kind of the preference should be from highest security down. (choices may be slightly different for your router).

WPA2 Personal AES
WPA2 Personal AES+TKIP
WPA Personal AES
WPA Personal TKIP
WEP 128bit
WEP 64bit

However, don't worry to much about the security of WPA. The differences between WPA and WPA2 are more theoretical. Just don't use WEP. Using AES+TKIP should allow WPA and WPA2 clients to connect. Some WPA clients have still difficulties with that and you may have to revert to pure WPA.

Windows XP requires an update for WPA2. Available for download from microsoft.

Message Edited by gv on 10-15-2007 02:27 PM
jrmycmpfan

What is so horrible about WEP?
Expert
Expert

I already wrote "WEP can be cracked within minutes.". Just take your laptop, download aircrack and the module which optimizes the attack to get the quickest result. Within 5 minutes you have the WEP key. Readily available in the internet. You don't need much knowledge.

The worst: once you have the WEP keys there are various attacks possible including full eavesdropping of all traffic (just like it was not encrypted) or even redirecting all traffic through a rogue access point which overpowers your router and to which your computer may accidentally connect.

AFAIK there are no known working efficient attacks against WPA or WPA2. With WPA or WPA2 you can only attack the passphrase, e.g. trying all short passphrases or dictionary attacks or simple brute force. But if you have a strong passphrase it should not matter.
kellycell

I have the same question as the original poster, is it possible to tell me step by step what I have to do so I can password protect my router?

At the moment I am giving free Internet to my neighbourhoud...
Expert
Expert

Start with the manual. Available for download from www.linksys.com. It explains everything in more detail and screenshots.

You have to connect to http://192.168.1.1/ No username. Default password "admin".

You have to change the router configuration password (default "admin") on the Administration tab.

You have to change the name of your SSID/wireless network name from "linksys" to something unique on the Wireless tab.

You have to enable WPA2 Personal security on the Wireless Security tab. Choose AES+TKIP encryption. Enter a strong (random, longer, hard-to-guess) passphrase.

Remember to press the save settings button on each page before changing to the next tab.
kitsimarks@iw.net

it wont let me go to that page cause it says i need a username and password

kitsimarks@iw.net

i entered my acount name and password for this website but it dint let me go in wat password and username do i need