Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
CanadianLinksys

How do I open .bin files?

Hey guys,

I'm rather new when it comes to computers so I apologize if this seems like a stupid question. How do I open .bin files? I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I'm trying to download firmware for my wireless router I figured this was the right place. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: How do I open .bin files?

You can't open the .bin file because it is the firmware of the router.
Memnoch

Thats great info... Can you now tell me what to do with the file with the .bin firmware attached to it? I would like very much to put it to use.
reed

Generic instructions

1) Open a new browser window (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Slimbrowser, etc.)

2 )The default IP address for most Linksys routers is http://192.168.1.1  Type this into the address bar (or right-click my link and choose to open in a new window or tab)

3) The default User name is blank.  The default password is: admin (all lower case).   If you have changed it for security reasons, type in your user name and password.

4) Click the Administration tab

5) Click Firmware Upgrade

6) Browse to the location on your computer where you saved the .bin file.  Double-click it or highlight it and click Open

7) Click Upgrade AND WAIT UNTIL THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE!  A completion page will appear when finished.

For more information, go through the steps on the Linksys site to access your particular model's user manual.  Once in the manual, do a Find (Hold the Ctrl key and press the "F" key.  Release both.  An entry field will appear at the top, side, or in a popup) for "firmware" and go through each place that the word is found until you find the location of your document's firmware upgrade instructions.  Full instructions may be in an appendix.