AnneL
Accepted Solution

How do I password protect?

Can anybody out there help me? I don't know how to password protect my wireless router. My roommate's and my computers are running slow, and we think it's because we have an open network and not a password-protected network. HELP!
sharkbyte

Re: How do I password protect?

On the PC hardwired to the router, open up Internet Explorer and type on the address bar the numbers 192.168.1.1 on the address bar (username just leave it blank, password as a default is usually admin)...

Then edit the wireless settings by going to the Wireless Tab and changing the ff:
SSID - this going to be the name of your wireless network so give it whatever name you want
Channel - suggested value is 11... then save settings

Secure your wireless network by going to the Wireless Security subtab and using WEP as the security mode... and then placing your phone number under WEP Key 1... then save the settings

Then on your laptop go to view available wireless networks, look for your SSID and connect with your phone number as the network key...
TroyB

Password protection is a good thing to have on your router, and it's entirely possible that without having set up a password already, or at least changing/hiding your SSID, or providing some kind of encryption, someone might have already compromised your router.

Passwords, imo, for just home routers should be at least 16 characters, or 128-bit. It will be extremely difficult for someone to come by and get your password unless they REALLY REALLY want to get it. I choose to make my passwords more like passCODES, consisting of 4 symbols, 4 numbers, 4 uppercase letters, 4 lowercase letters, and if you go higher than 16 characters total, use a random amount of whatever you want. Mix it up! *iQ'Bc3H.2z~p7E4 isn't going to be easy for someone to get without a password cracker.

And, if you have a wireless router, which I'm guessing you do, make sure that you check the option requiring HTTPS to login to the router. So instead of http://192.168.1.1 it would be https://192.168.1.1 It's a little more secure. Every bit helps.

Go to a performance test site with just one computer, making sure no other computer is on, and you aren't running any P2P applications, and check your internet speeds. I like http://performance.toast.net for it's ease of use.

Not using any encryption will actually NOT slow your speeds down like any form of encryption will, obviously. If you want this, cool. If not, you might want to restart and implement what I mentioned above. Reset your router, run the install CD, and make sure you set up with WPA or WPA2, whatever your hardware supports.

Good luck!
olivier_family

I need to restrict certain people in my home from connecting through the router.  Regardless of what wireless device they use to connect to the internet,  I would like to have the connection blocked unless they know the password.
Thank you.
woodnlady

Just trying to find away to protect my passwords when using this router. I have had it awhile and never even gave it any thought that I would need password protection. But I was informed that I really should? I was reading the bullentins and there is the one but it was dated in April of 2007. It refers to using this isp address 192.168.1.1
Open to any and all sugestions.

Wood
woodnlady

OOps I forgot. When I go into the isp 192.168.1.1 it gives me a user name and password login screen. I use the info that I used to register at linksys but it will not let me in. I use my hotmail signin and it will not let me in. What user name and password does it want?

Wood
Astridd

theres a default by linksys its like user: user  pass:1234 or abcd or somthing like that
Expert
sabretooth

>theres a default by linksys its like user: user  pass:1234 or abcd or somthing like that.

No that is not the default user name or password.  Please refain  from posting if you do not know.

The default user name is blank, password is 'admin'. 

bendicksen

Re: How do I password protect my wireless connection?

AnneL wrote:
Can anybody out there help me? I don't know how to password protect my wireless router. My roommate's and my computers are running slow, and we think it's because we have an open network and not a password-protected network. HELP!