Anonymous(anon)

How do I resolve IP address conflicts?

[ Edited ]
Hi! I have my home pc connected to my wireless router & it is able to get online.  I am trying to log-on to the Internet with my laptop & I can't.  The laptop would be able to get online, but it would make the wired pc disconnected from the Internet.   I keep getting a windows system error on my home computer that says "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network..".  What do I need to do?

Message Edited by angel on 04-25-2006 06:35 PM

Message Edited by angel on 06-11-2006 05:30 PM

Anonymous(anon)

Re: IP conflict

Hi Angel.

Do you know how to check for the IP address of the two computers? If so, please post it here.

Anonymous(anon)

[ Edited ]

Here's how to check the IP address: 

(if you're running Windows XP or Windows 2000) click on Start, go to Run and type in cmd then click OK. On the black screen, type ipconfig then press Enter. It will show the IP Address.

(if you're running Windows 98 and others, except MAC) click on Start, go to Run and type in winipcfg then click OK. Select the name of your LAN card first and it would show you the IP Address.

Message Edited by unknown on 04-25-2006 06:39 PM

Anonymous(anon)

Or restart one of the computers to get new IP address from the router. :smileyhappy:
Anonymous(anon)

Re: How to resolve IP address conflict?

Or better yet, power cycle all the devices on the network.
Anonymous(anon)

angel wrote:
Hi! I have my home pc connected to my wireless router & it is able to get online.  I am trying to log-on to the Internet with my laptop & I can't.  The laptop would be able to get online, but it would make the wired pc disconnected from the Internet.   I keep getting a windows system error on my home computer that says "there is an IP address conflict with another system on the network..".  What do I need to do?

Message Edited by angel on 04-25-2006 06:35 PM

Let your DHCP server do the job, set all your computers to obtain IP automatically.
Anonymous(anon)

Linksys routers, by default, should give you 50 IP addresses so there's no way for you to get that error unless there's a problem with the router itself. The best possible solution for that problem is to upgrade the firmware loaded on the router.
Anonymous(anon)

You can encounter that problem if the computer's adapter itself is slow on releasing and renewing its IP address. A restart is good solution for this problem as well as setting a static IP.
Anonymous(anon)

Try to hard-wire the laptop to the router instead of the desktop and see if you'll get the same error on it. If it does, then it's not a NIC problem in the first place but a router problem.

Anonymous(anon)

make sure that all computers are set to obtain the IP automatically, then power cycle the rotuer. all the computers should be able to obtain a new IP address.