Mystery_Person

How do you open a port? (WRT54G)

I'm trying to open Port 9392 (TCP). Well that's what this guy sent me. It's so I have a better connection when I play online with my PS3. Don't be rude when answering....
brandy

Re: How do you open a port? (WRT54G)

You need to login to the setup page of the router. Open the IE and clear out everything in the address bar. Type 192.168.1.1 and put 'admin' in the password field, just leave the username blank. Go to Applications and Gaming tab. This is where you can open the TCP port
helm

To forward(open) ports, You have to assign a static ip address on PS3 like 192.168.1.10, with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and gateway 192.168.1.1, DNS1 as 192.168.1.1 and DNS2 as 4.2.2.2 , After that open setup page of router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in browser’s address bar, and typing password as "admin" and no user name. Go to security tab, and disable block anonymous internet requests. Go to applications and gaming tab. Now Forward the ports you have to this static ip address, which you assign to your PS3. Make sure the firmware of router is latest.
Mystery_Person

That's where I get messed up! When I type that in the adress bar it takes me to this weird site. I click this big blue button (profile editor) and it asks for username and password. if I just put admin in the password box it just pops up again. If I put in admin over and over as the password eventually I get an error (authorization required)...... If I put admin as username and password the little box goes away but I get stuck on the page with the blue buttons. (it says WESTELL HOME, upper left hand corner)
brandy

Sounds like you login to a different page and not the router's. When we say 192.168.1.1, we refer to the default ip address of the router. But if i'ts giving you the label that says "Westell" that's not what your suppose to get. The window should view something like: 192.168.1.1 at Linksys WRT54G then the field for username and password.
       Westell modems usually  has same ip with the Linksys router. Check the correct address of your router by checking ip of your pc. Click on 'start' and the go to 'run'. Type in the field 'cmd' and on the dos prompt (black screen), type 'ipconfig' and press enter. The "default gateway" is the address of the router. Type that in the address bar. Admin is the default password but if the person who initially installed the router happen to change it, that will become the new password to router. Next steps follows (mentioned above) when your able to login to the setup page.
Mystery_Person

OHHH!!! Thanks! It was almost the same as the one you gave me. One of the numbers was different. :smileyhappy:
helm

Ok ...if you got stuck in the steps in between ... try remembering the password you used while installnig the router for the first time ... if not try uding admin password ... if both are not working unfortunately you need to reset the router by holding the reset button for few seconds .. unplug & replug the power cable ... Again follow the steps as i mentioned in the previous post ... bu before that do not forgot to reconfigure the router ...
Mystery_Person

I already got it. But I'm still not sure what you put in little spaces that say "START" and "END". I just put 0 and end at 100.
helm

start and end ports would be 9392. As you need to open a single port and not a range of ports.
Mystery_Person

[ Edited ]
what about "application"? is that 9392 too?

And how do I update my router? I remember one of you saying "make sure your firmaware is latest"

Message Edited by Mystery_Person on 04-13-2008 11:36 AM