Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
remyfowler

How do you reset your password on a WRT54G2?

I'm pretty sure I never set up a password for it in the first place, but I'm an idiot at this.
castor

Re: How do you reset your password on a WRT54G2?

If its not accepting "admin" password, the only way is to reset your router. Press and hold the reset button for 1 minute...Release the reset button...Unplug the power cable from your router, wait for 1 minute and re-connect the power cable...Now re-configure your router...
belyle22

I ran into this same problem and using the following cred's got me past the security. 

Username: admin

Password: admin

then I went in and changed my settings to whatever I wanted. 

Hope that works for you as well. 

richvarsay

[ Edited ]

If you are admin then you can try username: admin

password: password

Otherwise factory reset is the last option to reset password as well as  WRT54G2 router. In any other problem regards your Linksys router I am here to solve it 

Mod Note: Link to 3rd party support removed.

hs5111

I'm sorry this is late, but I have a question. Once you reset, unplug, and then plug again, will that actually change the authentication?
pepper_mint

When you do the reset which involves pressing the reset button for 15-30 seconds while the router is on, then you unplug the device, that brings the device back to the default settings so yes, it will change the authentication.

hs5111

Ok, thank you!
hs5111

Also, I moved from the US to Canada, and it was usally admin when I was in the Us. I hope that internatiol has nothing to do with it?
geekychix

Hi hs5111,

Once you reset the router, it will restore into factory defaults. It will be unsecured. Since you've transferred from another location, you need to configure your router to the current modem or provider.

hs5111

Yeah. I did all of that. I had to reset everything, luckly the authentication had changed to default as well. So I reconfigured everything. Thx for all the help!