JustinS

How do you set router to "keep alive"?

I have a PS3 and i have been told to set my router to the "keep alive" mode because i get signed out of the playstation network constantly. I just cant figure out how to do this. I have a WRT54GS. I already resolved my issues with connection to games with all the port nonsense. I just need to do this now to stay signed in. Thanks.
toomanydonuts

Re: How do you set router to "keep alive"?

I assume you probably have a PPPoE connection.

Login to your router at 192.168.1.1
You should be on the "Setup" tab, "Basic Setup" subtab.
Near the top of the page, near the PPPoE setting, you should see
"Keep alive redial period"
Check the circle in front of this line, and insert how many seconds.  (note:  if you get cut off every 10 minutes, redial every 9 minutes = 540 seconds).
Click the "Save settings" button and wait (3-60 seconds) for the screen to refresh.
Exit your browser.
Reboot entire system.
Gollum

Hi,
For this settings your ISP should be a DSL type provider, like verizon, bellsouth etc. Your modem should be configured to work in a bridged mode. And you should be having your user name and password for your PPPoE connection.

Now from a computer wired to router:

Open setup page of router by typing http://192.168.1.1 in browser;s address bar, and typing password as "admin" and no user name. Use your password if you have changed it earlier

Here internet connection type should be PPPoE, and your user name and password for PPPoE connection should be entered.

Below this the Keep Alive Redial Period setting is there. Default value is 30, you can change it to 10-15 for good connection.
JustinS

Problem. My router is set to Automatic Configuration-DHCP. My ISP is Comcast. So will it work with Comcast? What will happen if i set it to PPPoE? Thanks guys.
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
If your router is currently set to an "Internet Connection Type" of DHCP, and it works, and you change it to PPPoE, then the router will simply stop working.

Your ISP determines your "Internet Connection Type".  You cannot change that simply by changing a setting on the router.

I don't think that DHCP has a "keep alive" setting.  It doesn't have one because it does not need one.

Since you have an Internet connection type of DHCP, the "keep alive" setting is not the cause for your problem.  Look for another cause for getting signed out of your games.

What type of connection do you have?  DSL?  Cable?  Satellite?  Other?
What is the make and model of your modem?

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 01-07-2008 11:26 PM
Gollum

if you are using Comcast as internet service provider .... no need to change or work on Keep alive period .... the setting required only if you are using DSL connection ....
JustinS

Oh ok thanks a lot. I have cable. Yea i guess i will have to figure out what the problem is cause i am still getting signed out. Or does anyone know what the problem might be? My modem is a Motorola SBV5220. If thats any help. Thanks guys.
Gollum

Let me know if you are able to go online with Modem directly connected .....
Try this link to configure the router with the Cable modem ...

JustinS

Yea i can get on just directly connected to the modem. And i did that thing on the link but i still get signed out from the playstation network from the PS3. I just dont understand it. Thanks a lot for the help though.
toomanydonuts

When you said "i get signed out of the playstation network ",  what exactly happens?  Are you just kicked out of the Playstation web site?  Does the router otherwise work?  Does the router completely loose its Internet connection?  Do you just loose wireless connections on the router, or do you also loose wired connections?

If the router is completeley disconnecting from the Internet, then your problem might be that your ISP is disconnecting you.  Some cable ISPs monitor the MAC address of the device connected to them.  When you first sign in, the MAC address of your computer is taken, and any other device will be kicked off (usually after 5 to 60 minutes of connection).   If this sounds like it might be your problem, call your ISP and inform them that they need to reset their system to accept the MAC address of your router.

If this is not your problem, call your ISP and ask them to monitor your line, and see if they can tell what is causing the disconnections.