Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
antdude
Accepted Solution

How long do Linksys routers last?

Hello.

Is it me or do Linksys routers do not last very long? I had two different Linksys routers (many years ago's BEFSX41 v1 and 2009's WRT54GL v1.1 with their latest stock firmwares). BEFSX41's network stopped loading correctly even with its internal web pages and after reinstalling its latest firmware. WRT54GL seems to be having random and rare wired network disconnection problems with my computers and cable modem, so maybe it is the router. My friend's five years old Linksys WRT router was misbehaving even with third party firmwares (both DD-WRT and Tomato).

Do these consumer routers not last very long? :smileysad:

Thank you in advance. :smileyhappy:

Expert
sabretooth

Re: How long do Linksys routers last?

How long does your car last?  How long does anything last?  One year to 20 years would be a good guess.

antdude

3-4 years seems pretty short, isn't it?

Expert
jlbjlb

A 30-30-30 reset will fix a lot routers. You can search the forum for the procedure.

Also, make sure you're using the power supply that came with the router.
jaymay

For me, it really depends on how we we use the device. There's no definite time span on how long the device will last. If you're having problems with the device, there are workarounds that you may do to get it working again.

antdude

jaymay wrote:

For me, it really depends on how we we use the device. There's no definite time span on how long the device will last. If you're having problems with the device, there are workarounds that you may do to get it working again.

How we use the routers? It just sits there 24/7 nonstop. :smileywink: My previous former routers couldn't be recovered even if I resetted the firmwares back to defaults (30-30-30). I hope I don't need to do that for this old WRT54GL. :smileysad:

jaymay

Even devices needs  break :smileywink: If there's really a problem with the device itself or with your connection using it, I think the only option is to reset it, upgrade the firmware and do other troubleshooting steps to revive it.

antdude

jaymay wrote:

Even devices needs  break :smileywink: If there's really a problem with the device itself or with your connection using it, I think the only option is to reset it, upgrade the firmware and do other troubleshooting steps to revive it.

Yeah, I will mess with it if it gets worse. It already have the latest stock firmware. :/

jaymay

Since you already have the latest firmware, if ever there's really problem with the connection using the router, you can go ahead and reset then reconfigure the settings of the router.

antdude

jaymay wrote:

Since you already have the latest firmware, if ever there's really problem with the connection using the router, you can go ahead and reset then reconfigure the settings of the router.

Yeah, I will. With my previous former Linksys routers, resetting physically and through software did not work.