Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
opheliaimmortal23

Re: How long do Linksys routers last?

I believe it depends. There are those really that will turn off their devices especially their routers when not in use.

Best to do the physical reset on the router. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds and unplu/replug its power adapter after that for 30 seconds also.

antdude

opheliaimmortal23 wrote:

I believe it depends. There are those really that will turn off their devices especially their routers when not in use.

Best to do the physical reset on the router. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds and unplu/replug its power adapter after that for 30 seconds also.

OK, and thanks. I will give it a spin when I have free time during my long weekend. I don't want to do it when no time since I need to reconfigure my router. :smileysad:

antdude

antdude wrote:

opheliaimmortal23 wrote:

OK, and thanks. I will give it a spin when I have free time during my long weekend. I don't want to do it when no time since I need to reconfigure my router. :smileysad:

FYI, so far so good after 1.25 days: I made a firmware backup, did the physical reset yesterday afternoon, reconfigured from scratch (did not set everything like my previous ones, just the important/required ones like the same SSID, same static LAN IP addresses for two wired machines, etc.)).

I am not sure if this was the same before, but my physical router's Cisco Systems logo is orange color instead of white. I can't really remember if it was white. My brain thinks it was white before. However, I read that this is for EasySetup which I never used and pretty sure I disabled. Is there a way to view my backup without restoring to the router to check?

jaymay

If you check the router's userguide, it indicates there that if the cisco light/secure easy setup light is orange it means that the router is not is not using the SecureEasySetup feature. If it's white, it indicates that the Router is using the SecureEasySetup feature. You did a reset on the router and reconfigured the settings manually so that explains why the cisco light is lit orange. I'm not sure if it's possible to view the backup config without reloading it to the router though since I believe it's only the router who can read that file.

antdude

jaymay wrote:

If you check the router's userguide, it indicates there that if the cisco light/secure easy setup light is orange it means that the router is not is not using the SecureEasySetup feature. If it's white, it indicates that the Router is using the SecureEasySetup feature. You did a reset on the router and reconfigured the settings manually so that explains why the cisco light is lit orange. I'm not sure if it's possible to view the backup config without reloading it to the router though since I believe it's only the router who can read that file.

Thanks. Yeah, I did the manual configurations before and after. I wonder if SES was causing the disconnection problems before even though I never used it. We'll see...

antdude

Bad news after six days of no two seconds disconnections. It happened again this morning. I guess resetting back to default settings and reconfiguring from scratch to minimal required settings did not fix it. :smileysad:

I think I will try a third party firmware next?

ylime1984

For me, it would be better to upgrade instead to newer models. Check out these sites to help you decide in case you opt to getting a new one though the possibility of using 3rd party software is also one of your options.

Product comparison among the Linksys E900, E1200, E1500, E1550, E2500, and E3200 routers

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e1bb6290d41b4ead817488c288329c3f_Product_Compariso...

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=bb6925a91ad54105a51af9648ceefe78_Product_compariso...

antdude

ylime1984 wrote:

For me, it would be better to upgrade instead to newer models. Check out these sites to help you decide in case you opt to getting a new one though the possibility of using 3rd party software is also one of your options.

Product comparison among the Linksys E900, E1200, E1500, E1550, E2500, and E3200 routers

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e1bb6290d41b4ead817488c288329c3f_Product_Compariso...

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=bb6925a91ad54105a51af9648ceefe78_Product_compariso...

I just need a simple wireless router for a small home.

antdude

[ Edited ]

opheliaimmortal23 wrote:

Whoops, I think I messed up. I only held that physical reset button for about ten/10 seconds and then reconfigured from scratch. Does it really matter to do this power disconnection as well? Also, am I supposed to disconnected my network wired cables from the router too during this physical reset process? I didn't do that.

Expert
zee29

@antdude

We can never tell with electronic devices as to how long they will last. You may buy a cellphone today and by tomorrow it won't work. I still have a cellphone that works after 5 years. I also bought one that died after 3 moths (what gives? :smileyindifferent:) Same principle may apply with a router. It seems like you have tried most of the steps suggested, you can still go ahead and reload the firmware, but if the same issue persist, it might be time to purchase a new router.