Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
machg
Accepted Solution

How to Access the Web-Based Utility?

I am having trouble logging in on my wireless router and when i put "admin" (WITHOUT QUOTATIONS) on the password, the same

prompt kept on coming for three times and after that the message says "401 Authorization Required" (WITHOUT QUOTATIONS). I don't get though, i installed the wireless router just after i change admin and my password into (******). Can somebody please help?

My wireless router is  

Wireless-N Broadband Router

Model: WRT160N

toomanydonuts

Re: How to Access the Web-Based Utility?

To login to your router, leave the User Name blank, then for the Password use "admin"  (with no quotes).  If you changed the router's login password, use the password that you changed it to.  If this does not work then the most likely cause is either a firewall problem (see more on this below), or you are using the wrong password (this may require resetting the router to factory defaults - see more on this below).  Here is my full set of tips for viewing your router's setup pages.

To view the router's web pages:

You do not need an Internet connection.  The router's "web pages" are built into the router.
Use Internet Explorer, it usually works.
JavaScript must be enabled.
Use a computer that is wired to the router.
In the non-working computer, temporarily turn off your software firewall.

If you are using Zone Alarm, right click on the ZA icon in the system tray (lower right corner of screen) and then click "Shutdown ZoneAlarm", and see if this fixes your problem. If this does not work, try the following with Zone Alarm: Open the ZAISS control center, go to Privacy, then temporarily turn off Ad Blocking and Cookie Control, and see if that fixes your problem.

If you are using Noton Internet Security with the Add-on Pack, be sure to turn off the Pop-up Blocker, and the Ad blocker. Some users have reported that they needed to uninstall the entire Norton Add-on Pack.

If you cannot get anything at 192.168.1.1 then perhaps this is not your router's address. Go to "Start" > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.
A black DOS box will appear. Type in "ipconfig" (with no quotes), then hit the Enter key. Look at the "Default Gateway". Is it 192.168.1.1 ? Point your browser to the "Default Gateway", then login to your router.

If the above fails, disconnect your modem from the router, and try again. If this corrects your problem, then most likely you have a "modem-router" rather than an ordinary modem. Check to see if your "modem-router" is using the same 192.168.1.x address space as your Linksys router. If it is, then report back with this problem, and also state the make and model of your modem-router.

If all of the above fails, power down your entire system, unplug it from the wall, wait one minute, then power up and try again.

If all of the above tips fail, then reset the router to factory defaults: Power down the router and disconnect all wires from it. Wait one minute. Power up the router, allow it to fully boot (1-2 minutes), then press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release the button and allow the router to reset and reboot ( 2-3 minutes). Power down router. Wait one minute. Connect one computer, by wire, to a LAN port on the router. Boot up system. It should work.  Your password will now be reset to "admin" (with no quotes).

If the reset does not fix your system, then you need to download and install (or re-install) the latest firmware for your router. After the firmware upgrade, you must reset the router to factory defaults, then setup the router again from scratch. If you saved a router configuration file, DO NOT use it.

Klatch

Reset the router
1. Press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
2. Then, unplug the power keep holding down the reset button for
another 30 Seconds.
3. Plug back the power back in, and keep holding down the reset button
for 30 Seconds.
4. Release the reset button.

Now try to access the web based utility using the default password admin all lower case letters...

machg

The command prompt solved my problem was having thanks.

:smileywink:

machg

Re: Thanks

The command promt really help thanks toomanydonuts!
Thanks Klatch i restarted my wireless modem and my network work insanely fast!
machg

Thanks Klatch I restarted my wireless modem and my network work insanely fast!

machg

The command promt really help thanks toomanydonuts!
Tony_Z

toomanydonuts, I didn't want to copy your whole post here, as it would make for a very large post. Here are a few points that I discovered reguarding the instructions that you gave. I tried all of your suggestions, including a hard reset of the router. In my case, it's a WRT610N. Absolutely nothing would allow me to get to the setup page, and like others have said, my firmware failed on the only time I did get to the page. Then the entire router went screwy, suffering from a partial firmware update. First, it was my LELA that was finally able to do the firmware update. Even though my summary said I had the 1.00.02 B10 upgrade, it had not finished successfully. LELA detected this and finished my firmware update. I didn't even think it could do that. Second, after any further attempts to get to the utility page failed, I went into Zone Alarm Security Suite and made sure that both "WRT610N" and "192.168.1.1" were added to my Trusted Zones. That helped, but it didn't do the whole job. Third, I went into MSIE Internet Options, and made sure to add both of these router "addresses" to the sites in "Security / Local Intranet / Sites / Advanced". And Voila, I was able to get into the router setup utility right away, and it stayed stable...at that. And it was lucky, because the hard reset erased my whole configuration, including my network name and excryption settings. After I finally got my settings redone, I had to do a reset of my cable modem and allow the WRT610N to detect the Internet settings again. Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that I found a way to get to the setup utility even with Zone Alarm running. I think the real secret was to give your router's address to the the Local Intranet in MSIE settings. It may not be the real answer, but it worked for me, and I hope it will work for others. Sadly, I don't know of any suggestions for Mac users.
Tony

Windows XP Professional build 2600,xpsp_SP2_gdr,080814-1233
ASUS M2N32_SLI Deluxe with Wi-Fi. Nvidia 590 chipset
AMD X64 X2 6000+ dual core CPU
Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 cooler on CPU
4 gigs dual channel RAM @ 800 Mhz
Dual BFG Nvidia 9800 GTX video cards in SLI
Six Western Digital SATA2 hard drives
850 watt iMicro SLI & SATA ready PSU
Backplane for hot swapping backup drives
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 7000
Comcast Cable modem at 8 meg/sec service
And some other crap : )
toomanydonuts

to Tony_Z  ---

It is odd that you needed to change settings in Internet Exporer.   Was Windows Firewall running?  

Tony_Z

to Tony_Z  ---

"It is odd that you needed to change settings in Internet Exporer.   Was Windows Firewall running? " 

No. I have used Zone Alarm for many years. Mostly the free one. This year, I finally purchased a full copy of Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite. In any case, I have not run Windows Firewall for a very long time...years. It's my opinion that The Windows Firewall is about as good a filter as a Kleenex.  As I said in my post, what worked for me was to add the router's address to the trusted sites in my MSIE local Intranet. Anyway, like many other people, I was not able to access the web based utility for months. I thought it was a Linksys thing. When I finally added 192.168.1.1 and WRT610N to my trusted sites in the Local Intranet, I have been able to consistantly gain access to the web based utility again. I don't know why it worked, only that it did for me, and is still working. I only hope that it will help others who haven't been able to get in there for a long while. And I believe that I mentioned in my post that Zone Alarm is running when I get into the web based utility. So the firewall wasn't the issue. But just in case, I also added the router address to my trusted sites in Zone Alarm.

Tony

Windows XP Professional build 2600,xpsp_SP2_gdr,080814-1233
ASUS M2N32_SLI Deluxe with Wi-Fi. Nvidia 590 chipset
AMD X64 X2 6000+ dual core CPU
Zalman CNPS9500-AM2 cooler on CPU
4 gigs dual channel RAM @ 800 Mhz
Dual BFG Nvidia 9800 GTX video cards in SLI
Six Western Digital SATA2 hard drives
850 watt iMicro SLI & SATA ready PSU
Backplane for hot swapping backup drives
Microsoft Wireless Desktop 7000
Comcast Cable modem at 8 meg/sec service