Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
amywalker

How to Bridge two Wireless G Routers together?

Help.  I am trying to connect wireless to the barn for my husband.  Because of the distance, I have two wireless rounters.  One at the house, connected to the dsl router, and one linksys at the barn.  I also have purchased the linksys high gain antennas.  My question is how do I get them to to work together?
Expert
Expert

Re: How to Bridge two Wireless G Routers together?

Not at all. Routers like the WRT54G are supposed to have their own internet connection. They don't pick up another router's signal. Access points like the WAP54G can bridge.

If you have an older WRT54G (version 3 or older, check the label on the router) or you have a WRT54GL you can use a 3rd party firmware (voids the warrenty though) like hyperwrt-thibor or dd-wrt (see wikipedia for wrt54g, there's a link list of firmwares).

If you have a WRT54Gv4, v5, or v6 get it back to the store if possible and get a WRT54GL or WAP54G instead.
amywalker

Does that mean that if I have two wireless access points that this would work?  Instead of two routers?

The access points have repeater and bridge mode, or you can just buy the WET54G which is (just) a bridge. 

You may want to look at the WAP54GPE, which can be placed outdoors (like on the side of the barn) and gets power over the ethernet cable (Take a look at the products page).

Small detail - you need a router at the end that connects to the internet.

So you would have something like a WRT54G plugged into the internet and a WAP54G in the barn.  Or you could have two WAP54G devices for the link to the barn and a plain router or router with wireless for the internet...
amywalker

timelord....thank you so much for the info.  Just so I have a clear understanding, first,  I need the WRT54GS router with the wifi antennas at the house, hooked to the dsl rounter.  Then, second, I need to switch my other WRT54GS for a WAP54G.   l will put it at the barn.  Now, how do I get the wireless camera to talk to the access point, and what settings do I need to have to get the access point to talk to the router?  I hate to sound so ignorant, but this is the first time I have tired anything like this.  Last question, I haven't ordered my camera yet, does anyone have a suggestion on what would work well, at a reasonable price?

Thanks again......

Hi Amy -

If it is *just* a camera you want in the barn, it may work with a wireless camera (only) in the barn.  That is the camera may have enough range to reach the house.  (How far is it?)  There is also a "range booster" that would help.

But for the original connectivity:
- The camera plugs into the access point with an ethernet cable
- the router is set to bridge mode with all the wireless setting just like the other end
- You can use a hub if you want to plug other things in to the network at the barn end
- Both the camera and access point need to get power too (a thing I sometimes forget)
- At the other end, it is just a normal set-up

It is best if the signal goes "line of sight" as much as possible (as few obstuctions, like walls and furniture) in the way (this applies to any set-up you use)

The access point should be in bridge mode (this is in the manual) and have the SSID, security and channel match that of the router.

There are many network based cameras on the market.  There are some that have Pan/Tilt/Zoom (usually listed as "PTZ").  The choice sort of depends on what you can spend.  There is even one that has video one way but audio in both directions (sort like an intercom). 

Unfortunately this can get to be a complex topic and also involves personal preferences, budget, etc. and my tke a lengthy discussion.

By the way - you can send personal messages via this forum -  click on the blue screen name (timelord for me) then by "user actions" click on "send this user a private message"

oops - sorry the ACCESS POINT is set to bridge mode

Hi (again!) -

I just had a thought that may save you money and perhaps technical hurdles as well.

Linksys (and others) make devices that extend your network via the POWER LINE - that is you plug the thing into the wall at both ends and like magic you have a network connection.  The only restriction as far as I know is that they need to be on the same side of the transformer feeding the house.  In a normal US house, this is never an issue, but on a farm or industrial situations it can be.  So how do you know?  Well... if there is only one power line coming onto the property and you have 110/220volt service, this will be the case.  It may still be the case otherwise, but would take someone that knows what to look for to tell for sure.  Of course you could just try it and see if it works....

The power line  device from linksys is the PLEBR10.  It runs at 14Mbps - fast enough for a camera or 2 or 3.
gul
gul

can u help me pls how to configaration linksys modam and how to configaration dlink cam with linksys .