jc1027

How to Setup a Second Router (WRT310N)

I have two WRT310N routers.  I am setting  up the second one to extend the wireless range.

IMPORTANT: THE SECOND ROUTER IS PLUGGED INTO THE LAN VIA ETHERNET CABLE PLUGGED INTO THE INTERNET JACK ON THE ROUTER.

The IP of the first router is set to 192.168.1.2.  I can connect to it and get to the Internet via wireless.

The second router is 192.168.1.1.  I can see both SSIDs for each router.  However if I connect to the second router I can't get to the Internet since the Internet port is connected to the LAN, not the Cable Modem.

Should I be able to setup the second router to use the first router as the Internet connection?

For Internet Setup I selected Static IP.  IP Address 192.168.1.106 (this is the IP the first router assigned it).

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.2 (the IP of the first router)

DNS - I looked up the DNS addresses that my provider is assigning and types those in.  

Network Setup

IP Address 192.168.1.1 

Subnet 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server Enabled - but I changed the range to start at 200 instead of 100 so it won't conflict with the other router.

When I try to save I get "The Router IP address equals to the subnet address"

What am I doing wrong?  Is it possible to setup a second access point when the second router is hardwired to the LAN?  Or do I need to install DD-WRT firmware?

I'm rusty on my network stuff.  Thanks in advance for any help.

jc1027

Re: How to Setup a Second Router (WRT310N)

Resolved.  I changed the second router Internet connection back to DHCP.  I noticed though for the Default Gateway it was using the old address of the first router (which is the same address as the second router).  So I changed it to .3 and it now isuing the correct .2 default IP and it works!

jc1027

Argh. Not so fast.  I can get on the Internet but devices plugged into the router can see other devices on the LAN unless I plug the LAN cable into one of the router ports instead of the Internet port, of course then I can't get on the Internet.  So still need help with setup.

klapaucius

klapaucius

you have to disable dhcp on the 2nd router because the dhcp is enabled or IP will be supplied by the 1st router

Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]

The main router with internet has LAN 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 DHCP server enabled.

The second router connected LAN-LAN to the main router has internet connection type Automatic/DHCP, LAN IP 192.168.1.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 DHCP server disabled.

The setup of the second router is more like a "trick" then a proper setup to use the second router only as access point and ethernet switch. The firmware is designed to have a working internet connection through the internet port and to operate as internet gateway and NAT router. Due to that, you cannot use the DHCP server on the second router because it would always assign it's own IP address as default gateway to all DHCP clients.

All internet related functions (like DDNS, access restrictions, etc) won't work on the second router. They all assume a connection through the internet port, operating as router. All internet related functions must be configured on the main router.

BTW, for a roaming wireless network set the all wireless settings on both access points identically except for the channel assignment (unless you use automatic setting in which case both should automatically choose different channels).

jc1027

I think I figured some of this out since your post.  Thanks much.  I found a post on the Internet that said to 1) set SSID on second router to same as the first, 2) disable DHCP on the second router.  

Works great. This is with the second router LAN connection plugged into the LAN port, not the Ethernet port.  I've got a device that has to get access to the LAN which is now plugged into the second router instead of the wall jack.  I almost thought I was going to need to add a hub so I could split the wall jack between the wireless router and the media device.  But the question is, how can I tell which router I'm currently using for wireless when the SSIDs are the same.  The area I was having trouble getting connectivity to the first router because of the distance, now I get connectivity, but when I had separate SSIDs the other day I noticed for some reason I was able to connect to the first router anyway.

I suppose I could just unplug the second router and see if I lose a connection.  I'm running Windows 7.  Does the client wireless card just automatically connect to the router with the strongest single when the SSIDs are the same?

I suppose if I am getting a decent connection on my deck now, I shouldn't worry which router I'm connecting to, but I would like to confirm if the $50 I invested was even necessary now.  Guess I should go unplug the second router and see if the connection strength changes or drops.

jc1027

I walked outside and tested my connection. Then went in and unplugged the second router.  Lost my connection and walked inside and it connected to the first router.  So I walked outside, plugged the second router back in and voila - works great!