Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
zalmang

How to Update Dynamic DNS from Main Router but pass ports to Subnet on 2nd router

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Please pitch in your advice to the following:

I have my ip cameras on a sub-router (Linksys WRVS4400N) off a FIOS router (Actiontec MI424WR).

The Linksys pulls an IP from the FIOS DHCP as 192.168.1.2.

I used to have this router update our dyndns.org host to get an alias ip to get in from the web to view the cameras, but of course, it updates as 192.168.1.2, and not the true WAN ip of 163.33.22.55 (the FIOS router's WAN IP).

If I set the dyndns.org to update only from the FIOS router, it will, of course, not recognize any of the IP camera ports off the secondary router (192.168.1.2).

Is there a way to update the tru WAN to Dyndns.org, but route incoming WAN+PORTS to the secondary modem so I can access my cameras from the web?

Or some other right way to do this?

Thanks!!!

MAIN ROUTER

LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
WAN IP: 71.241.0.159 

SECONDARY ROUTER:

LAN IP: 192.168.3.1 
WAN IP: 192.168.1.2

Message Edited by zalmang on 12-15-2008 09:15 PM
Expert
Expert

Re: How to Update Dynamic DNS from Main Router but pass ports to Subnet on 2nd router

1. Setup DynDNS on FIOS router. Only there it will work.

2. Configure port forwarding on FIOS router to WRVS WAN IP address 192.168.1.2. Forward all ports required.

3. Configure the same port forwardings on WRVS to the destination IP addresses inside the WRVS LAN 192.168.3.*.

Other option: use only one router and turn the other into an access point/hardware switch, e.g.

a. leave the FIOS router as it is.
b. set the internet connection type of the WRVS to Automatic/DHCP.
c. set the local IP address of the WRVS to 192.168.1.2 (where you have 192.168.3.1 at the moment).
d. disable the DHCP server on the WRVS.
e. save the settings.
f. wire a numbered port of the WRVS to the FIOS.

Now you only have a single LAN. All Dyndns settings and port forwardings must be done on the FIOS and only there. The WRVS has nothing to do with these anymore.

Of course you can make a similar setup swapping both routers, i.e. connecting the WRVS directly to your modem and the FIOS connected to the WRVS. (if that is technically possible, i.e. the FIOS is not actually also your modem...)