Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
mwapuleni
Accepted Solution

How to add WRT54GL in network as AP

I have existing network with router, all computers have manually assigned IPs. Now I want to add WRT54GL to serve visitors with wireless. For them WRT54GL's DHCP would assign IPs in range no other computer in LAN uses. I want them to have access to internet and the rest of LAN.

If I connect WRT54GL through WAN port they only access to internet, but can't see LAN.

But if I connect it through LAN, I can access LAN, but not internet. It works, if I set router IP (on WRT54GL on 192.168.100.1 but now it conflicts with main router and network crashes). I don't understand why wireless computers get WRT54GL's IP as gateway and not 192.168.100.1 as it is set in basic setup.

I suppose I should do something in Advanced routing, but what?

kevj

Re: How to add WRT54GL in network as AP

Use your original router as the wireless client's DHCP server. If you use the WRT54G it will give out it's own LAN IP as the DHCP client's default gateway (as you have already found). Connect the WRT to the original router using a LAN port, and give it a static LAN IP in the same network as the original router, switch it to router mode (as opposed to gateway), turn off the DHCP server, and set up the wireless network security on the WRT54G. Tell your wireless visitors which SSID to connect to, and their wireless clients will make DHCP requests that will be answered by the original router.
-------------------------------------
Tomato 1.25vpn3.4 (SgtPepperKSU MOD) on a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
Wii (Wireless) - PS3 (Wired), PSP (Wireless) - XBox360 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
IOmega StorCenter ix2 1TB NAS
Linksys WVC54G w/FW V2.12EU
and assorted wired and wireless PCs and laptops
mwapuleni

Thanks kevj. Unfortunatelly I don't have access to original router so I can't turn on its DHCP server. I suppose I'm stuck here.

Is there a chance 3rd party firmware could be useful in my situation?

kevj

[ Edited ]

You could try Tomato or DD-WRT. Tomato is a little less 'cluttered' that DD-WRT, but you can add specific options to the DNSMASQ config (the DHCP server that runs in Linux) that will specify a default gateway.

If you do decide to go with Tomato (which I am more familiar with over dd-wrt), the DNCP/DNS has a box in which you can set DNSMASQ custom config options. There is also a link on that page to a site that has great descriptions of DNSMASQ. The options below ar from that site:

to set the default route option to 192.168.4.4, do --dhcp-option=3,192.168.4.4 or --dhcp-option = option:router, 192.168.4.4

Message Edited by kevj on 02-24-2009 05:53 AM
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)
Linksys NSLU2 Firmware Unslung 6.10 Beta unslung to a 2Gb thumb, w/1 Maxtor OneTouch III 200Gb
mwapuleni

[ Edited ]

Great, I was just about to ask how to setup dnsmasq :smileyhappy:

It worked (without first --), proper gateway is send to network card, I can ping LAN computers & main router. But in most cases can't see computers in Network places and if I do, browsing is very slow.

Main problem was I still could't acess internet.

I found out there was a problem with DNS settings. So if I manually set DNS it works, but I suppose there should be another option for automating this, too.

PS. I found it, its option 6 (dhcp-option=6,x.y.z.w)

Thanks for your help.

Message Edited by mwapuleni on 02-24-2009 04:10 AM
kevj

[ Edited ]

Now you have decent firmware on your router :smileywink: you can give all those statically assigned machines static DHCP leases, have then use your router's IP as their DNS server, configure the DNS servers on the router setup to use OpenDNS servers, then use the "Intercept DNS port" setting to prevent LAN users from bypassing your OpenDNS setup. If you create a free account with OpenDNS you can set up custom configurations on what sites your users can browse, and restict them frrom hitting Phishing, malware sites, etc. Very powerful, and very useful.

Those static DHCP leases should also allow your LAN machines to resolve quicker also, as the DNS for them will be maintained by the router...

Message Edited by kevj on 02-24-2009 10:46 AM
D-Link DSM-320 (Wired)
SonyBDP-S360 (Wired)