Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lamez

How to add a Router wirelessly to another wireless network

I have a pretty old, reliable router, it is a wrt54g. I have a decent amount of clients connected to it, it is my home router. Well my Dad just got a blueray player, and for fathers day I wanted to setup another router to his player, so it can connect to the internet.

So I need to setup a router to talk to another router that is connected to the internet, but I want the second router to have internet as well. 

So I have now,

First Router:

IP - 192.168.1.1

SSID - Lamez

Second Router

IP - 192.168.1.2

SSID - Lamez - Living Room

Would I need to setup a static ip on the second router?

I am really lost!

lamez

Re: How to add a Router wirelessly to another wireless network

really no one?
quack

So you want to connect both the router to each other.

Click Here and it will give you the detail instructions how to connect 2 routers to each other. 

lamez

that would be great, but I clearly stated, I need to do this wirelessly.
smest

can't be done wirelessly, you gotta do it with a cable. there's currently no way to connect 2 routers (of any brand or variant) via wi-fi. directly that is. you'll need to buy an ethernet-to-wifi adapter (like this or this) and connect that to the new router as stated in quack's answers, as a LAN-to-LAN connection. you will be losing one ethernet port on your router, no matter what, and it's not an ideal situation at all.

here's a small guide

1. connect your gaming adapter or ethernet bridge to port 1 of your new router

2. setup your new router as stated in quack's answer in a LAN-to-LANconfiguration

a. open your router's setup page (192.168.1.1 by default)

b. under Setup > Basic Setup > Network Setup > Gateway IP set your Local IP address to 192.168.1.2 (or one number higher than your original router's address), and disable the DHCP serve, save settings

c. under Setup > Advanced Routing > Advanced Routing change the Operating Mode to Router, save settings

3.  open your ethernet bridge's (169.254.1.250 by default), or gaming adapter's (192.168.1.250 by default) setup page

a. for the ethernet bridge:

Ⅰ. under Wireless > Site Survey find your old router and press Activate

Ⅱ. select the approprate encryption and enter the passphrase for the old router, press connect

b. for the gaming adapter:

Ⅰ. under Basic > Wireless keep Wireless Network mode as Wireless Bridge

Ⅱ. under Wireless Network Name enter your old router's SSID, set 802.11 Band to 2.4Ghz, 802.11 Mode to 802.11b/g

Ⅲ. select the appropriate security mode and enter the passphrase for your old router, save settings

quack

I assume that you must be using a Linksys Firmware on your router...With the Linksys Firmware you cannot communicate two wireless router's wirelessly, you have to use a cable to connect/communicate them together...

You require a Gaming Adapter to connect to your blu-ray player(WGA54G/WGA600N)...

kirevse

It can be done with DD-WRT firmware. You are looking for Repeater Bridge functionality.