mar9en

How to add another computer to my network

I just set up my wireless router and I want to let my roommate access the network, but for some reason it's not letting her connect. I am a complete wireless ignoramus, so I have no idea how I would go about adding her to the network. I need her to be on there, but I need to be the administrator, since I own the house and connection. Can anyone help me? I'm sure this question is so basic you all will be laughing at me. :smileyhappy:

Thanks.
lou0685

Re: How to add another computer to my network

A couple of things could be causing this,is the security set up on the router,and what kind of nic adapter is on your freinds computer,also what kind internet do you use cable or dsl.
mar9en

lou0685 wrote:
is the security set up on the router

Yeah, I set it at WPA Personal though I wasn't sure what exactly that meant. So there's a key. I expected my roommate to be able to enter the key somewhere in order to connect, but it just says it can't connect. Should I have it at a different setting? I don't want just anybody accessing my network, basically just me and her.

lou0685 wrote:
what kind of nic adapter is on your freinds computer

I'm not sure what a nic adapter is, and I'm not sure how I would find out what kind hers is. :/

lou0685 wrote:
also what kind internet do you use cable or dsl.

Cable. That I know. :smileyhappy:
Camacho_Daniel

So you have all access and control over the Wireless connection you should encrypt it!   to WEP  Type the following url:  192.168.1.  on a web browser  your password should be admin click on okay!  click on wireless tab Wireless security tab security mode WEP:  on Passphrase:  type anything that you will remember, this will automatically make key's.  by the generat button  Take a note of key 1 , your friend will need this key code - to acces the internet  Save settings and close the browser! 

now your friends computer if it's wireless should detect your connection and she will need to connect to it!  It will ask her for the key 1 code and then she will be able to connect.
mar9en

I'm not sure I understand your message. I typed 192.168.1 into my address bar and the page wouldn't load. I thought the WAP Personal meant it was encrypted. Doesn't it?

And I changed my passcode to something other than "admin," should I not have done that?
Camacho_Daniel

WAP DOES NOT ACTUALLY MEAN THAT THE ROUTER IS PROTECTED!  IT NEEDS TO BE WEP.  IF YOU CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD FROM ADMIN YOU SHOULD PUT THE NEW PASSWORD WHEN YOU TRY TO LOG INTO THE 192.168.1.1  DON'T TYPE HTTP: OR WWW. JUST  192.168.1.1
mar9en

Thank you! This worked for my roommate's computer, but now my own computer will not connect. In the Choose a Wireless Network window it says "Not Connected" and there's no button to reestablish the connection (just a "Disconnect" button). I've tried repairing the connection but that's not working. :smileysad: Now what? I'm going to try just rebooting my computer.
Camacho_Daniel

on your choose a wireless network it should say your own connection  disconnect and reconnect.  If it does not work go to  Change the order of preferred netorks it has a small yellow star click on it .  On your perferred networks remove all.  click on your wireless button off .  Then click on it to on  ,  it should be able to detect your connection and connect to it  It might ask you for Key 1    If none of this work restar  your computer!
mar9en

That worked! Thank you so much for your help! Now if I can just get my darn printer drivers to install... :smileywink:
jlwhip

I AM TRYING TO ADD MY LAPTOP TO MY HOME COMPUTER INTERNET SERVICE. WHEN I GO THROUGH THE STEPS,  MY HOME COMPUTER SAYS I AM NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. WHEN I FIRST STARTED OUT I WAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. I AM TRYING TO CONNECT A LINKSYS ROUTER.