Wiickette
Accepted Solution

How to block BitTorrent

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a Cisco E 3000.

My roommate is using our internet connection (in fact mine) to donwload on BitTorrent networks. I could block BitTorrents urls, but she could dowload the torrent file from another connection and do the download with my connection. So I forgot that way.

I could also block ports... but she could change the ports of the BitTorrent network...

Is there anything else to do with the firmware given by Cisco ?

What firmware should I use to block p2p ?

Thanks,

castor

Re: How to block BitTorrent

Once done with this settings, now you need to select "Bittorrent" and click on the (>>) and click on Save Settings. This will block the bittorrent from your Router.

If you wish to block Bittorrent then you should know the Port Number of Bittorrent.

Login to the setup page of the Router, and click on Application and Gaming tab and under "Blocked Application" 

In the "Application name" type "Bittorrent"

Port Range  "Bittorrent Port No"

Protocol "Both"

Then click on the ADD button.

greencross

^No! BitTorrent clients have the capacity to change ports when needed so it's useless to find out which port they're currently using and block it. Your best bet would be to find out the ports YOU need and block everything else. If you only use port 80 for browsing, block ports 1-79 then make another rule for 81-65535. This leaves the torrent client to piggyback whichever port is open - for that, disable UPnP on your router. QoS is also good - prioritize your PC and put LOW on their PC, this should slow their torrent speeds to a crawl. If that doesn't work, find their MAC address and block their Internet access completely and if they ask why, tell them "cause you're downloading torrents lol"
Wiickette

Tanks ! I'll try that. Very good idea to block every port but the ones I need.

mushu121809

honestly, if i were in your shoes, id block her connection that way she cant use your internet.

check this website out.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=c6514683ef504ac39edf527478fe7a83_Enabling_Wireless...

GB!

Wiickette

The fact is that it's what I've done for now ^^

But I would prefer to allow her to work on the internet (she's a student in comptuer science and need it).

castor

Well if you are following the same steps then it will be a good solution for saving the internet bandwidth. But you have to apply those methods or steps again and again.

Wiickette

I know :s

I took me some time to, but I've blocked every ports but the 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 53, 80, 110, 143, 443, 587, 993 and 995.