jav_cha

How to configure Dhcp relay agent

How I can to configure the wrt54g like a dhcp relay agent? please i need help, tell me :mantongue:

Re: How to configure Dhcp relay agent

by default, the router has DHCP enabled already.. what do you mean by DHCP relay.. are you talking about your router being the 2nd DHCP on your network?

"a helping hand in a community makes the world a universe"
jav_cha

A DHCP relay agent is any host that forwards DHCP packets between clients and servers. Relay agents are used to forward requests and replies between clients and servers when they are not on the same physical subnet. Relay agent forwarding is distinct from the normal forwarding of an IP router, where IP datagrams are switched between networks somewhat transparently. By contrast, relay agents receive DHCP messages and then generate a new DHCP message to send out on another interface. The relay agent sets the gateway address (giaddr field of the DHCP packet) and, if configured, adds the relay agent information option in the packet and forwards it to the DHCP server. The reply from the server is forwarded back to the client after removing option .

Peter_APIIT

I have a network diagram as below. Internet->Modem->OpenBSD->Router->PC && Laptop. As you mentioned in the previous post, you said that DHCP relay agent is forward the DHCP messages from one DHCP server to another network segment. Do DHCP Proxy same as DHCP Realy Agent ? Do Linksys WRT54GS come with this features where the OpenBSD already has an DHCP server but need to braodcast to the client which PC && Laptop ? As far as i know, only cisco comes with DHCP realy agent features. I have google it for a day about DHCP Proxy features/ Thanks for your help. Your help is greatly appreciated by me and others.
Peter_APIIT

http://www.speedguide.net/broadband-view.php?hw=38 They said Linksys WRT54GS cannot use any third party firmware since version 5. Is it true ?