n179911@gmail.com

How to connect my Mac Book Pro to Linksys WRT160N router

HI,

I just bought a   Linksys WRT160N router. I pop the installation disk in my mac book pro and walk thru the installation procedure successfully.

But I can't connect wirelessly from my MacBook Pro (running mac os x 10.5).

It sees the router and I did type in the password correctly (i copy from the text file generated by the installation procedure), but I keep getting 'coonnection timeout'.

Anyone has similar problem and know how to fix it?

Thank you. 

saber_tooth

Re: How to connect my Mac Book Pro to Linksys WRT160N router

Connect the modem to the router on the Internet port and the computer to the router on the Ethernet port...Open an Internet Explorer browser page on your wired computer(desktop).In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1 and press Enter...Leave Username blank & in Password use admin in lower case...Now,configure the router as per the ISP settings..Check this link.

n179911@gmail.com

I did follow you instruction link. But that does not solve my problem. I can see the wireless network in MacBook pro, but when I tried to connect it. I said 'connection timeout'.

Johnny1

Hi N1799 ---

Me too.       am on OSX 10.5.6

I have re-set the router and re-installed about ten times now.  (using re-set button, deleting network & passwords from airport & keychain access)

Have followed all instructions re MAC cloning, changing to WEP, etc...  @ the http 192 address.

not sue why/how if the mac has the correct info/passwds and can 'see' the network, AND the linksys holds same info, but connection doesnt happen.     i also get the 'connection timeout' messg. every way i attempt to connect - new networks, etc...  no go.

am trying to connect to a live help guy @ linksys -- if i get any joy will post back.

cheers,

J.

Johnny1

[ Edited ]

Hi N1799 --

whoa. spent ages w/ three very helpful people @ linksys.  shame my ethernet kept popping out otherwise it would have been loads quicker.   my situation was all over the shop - really cause i'd followed different suggestions i saw online - i cant even begin to explain. A chat agent ended up setting me up remotely - new firmware & started frm scratch.   They will get to the bottom of it!

WRT160N is working like a demon - persevere and go get yr stuff sorted out -- if yr Mac (or P.C.'s) not behaving -- go to live chat

( http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/chat ).  

Stellar help.  

Many thanks to them all-

Johnny.

(Mod Note: Removed agents' badge ID)

Message Edited by daikunzeon on 12-04-2009 12:34 AM
saber_tooth

Have you changed the SSID to some unique name..?

Which security you are using...?

Are you able to go online from other wireless computer...?

Try to turn-off the Security or try to lower down the security to WEP then,check...

macsrwe

I experienced this behavior today.  My client had a WRT160N version 3 running on firmware 3.0.02.  I upgraded it to the current version, 3.0.03, because checking for upgrades is part of the service I provide to my clients.  After that point, I could not connect wirelessly -- I got the "connection timeout" message every time I provided the password.  Reviewing the firmware release notes, I saw a mention of "Fixed wireless channel 11 being unstable."  My client was operating on channel 11.  When I moved the router to channel 1, bingo -- the wireless connected perfectly.  And no, no one in the vicinity was running another network on 11 -- there was only one other, and he was on 6, which is non-overlapping.

The best part was when I called Cisco for help and got told there would be a charge for assistance to solve the problem their own firmware obviously caused, that (unlike every other manufacturer in the business) they don't recommend people upgrading their firmware unless something is clearly broken (where is that on the website or in the upgrade instructions, please?), and that they don't keep copies of the older firmware.

kestyles

I have a MacBook not Pro and do the correct router/modem/computer connectivity, disconnect the power to router/modem for tons of time, but upon reconnecting browser won't accept 192.168.1.1  I'm not getting anywhere with proceeding down the path to make my wireless WRT160N V3 secure with a password.  Please help.

neuro8

[ Edited ]

Spent half an hour dealing with this. Here's how I fixed it:

1. ethernet-connect into your router
  2. type 192.168.1.1 in your browser (chrome or firefox preferred)
  3. give it the username / password of your router
  4. Go to "Wireless" under "Basic Wireless Settings"
  5. Change your "Channel" from 6 to 11
  6. Tap the "Airport button" on the router
  7. Try reconnecting

Make your security settings either WPA or WPA2 with your password.

The issue I had, it seems, is that when we came back from vacation a bunch more wireless routers sprung up. The channels they were using were the same as our own (Channel 6) and it was clogging up the connection pattern. By flipping to a lesser-used channel, we were able to reconnect. However, the MacBook Pro didn't recognize Channel 1 through Channel 5, so went from 6 to 11 and it worked.

HTH

mrmacman65

In the Basic Wireless Section make sure the Configuration View is set to manual, 

then change the Channel Width to 

Auto (20 MHz or 40 MHz)