vu14tj

How to connect two wirless routers together??

I have 2 - WRT54G's and would like to connect them together.  Here is how thy are set up now.  Router A is on the main floor of my house and connected to my cable modem, router B is in the attic on the second floor of my house.  I have an ethernet cable ran to the attic.  I would like to know how to set up thes two routers to work together. TIA

Craig
OlYeller21

Re: How to connect two wirless routers together??

I'm no expert but from what I know, you can't have 2 routers on the same connection. I tried this and they sort of "fight" over the connection or something. If you basically just trying to extend your range, I think you need an access point to "relay" the connect.
Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about but that's what i've come to understand.
Hope that helps. Good luck!
Zach
Expert
Expert

So basically, router B is wired to the LAN of router A? Is that correct?

First you should setup router B to run as access point only:

- assign a non-conflicting LAN IP address to router B, e.g. 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.1.1.
- turn off the DHCP server on router B
- connect a numbered LAN port of router B with a numbered LAN port of router A
- do not use the Internet port of router B. It remains empty.
- ignore the internet connection settings in router B.

Now router A is the gateway router for your LAN. It also runs the DHCP server for your LAN. Wireless client connected to router B will get their IP address from router A and use router A for internet connection.

Then you should be able to setup a roaming network with these two routers. For this, both routers must basically have the identical wireless settings except for the wireless channel which should be different to avoid interference. Thus, set the same SSID and the same wireless security settings on both routers. If you use MAC address filtering you have to set it up on both. Assign different channels on both routers, e.g. 1 and 6.

With this setup a wireless client should be able to roam between both routers. When the connection to one of the routers gets too weak and the other one is in range the wireless client should automatically switch to the other one maintaining the connection. Some wireless cards have difficulties with roaming so it may not always work perfectly with all devices.

See also Linksys FAQ ID 622.
vu14tj

Yes, router B is wired to the LAN of Router A.

Do I need to disconnect Router B from Router A to access it so I will be able to change it's settings? What will the IP be so I can access it assuming Router A's is 192.168.1.1??

Sorry I'm a networking NEWB here.
Expert
Expert

Yes, for the changes to an access point you have to disconnect it from router a for a moment. Both routers run on 192.168.1.1 by default. If you disconnect router B from router A and wired a computer to a numbered port of router B you should be able to access the configuration page on http://192.168.1.1/ without problems.
JazzFrequency

[ Edited ]
hi to all..
I have two routers linksys WAG200G (adsl over pstn).
Can i connect them wireless ??
The one is connected to internet to my brother's house.
The other is in my house.
There is a small distance about 60meters.
Can i connect my router wireless to my brother's router and share the internet connection wireless ??

Message Edited by JazzFrequency on 04-25-200706:51 AM

road hog 2

great answer thank you!