Ladyberg
Accepted Solution

How to connect wifi router without computer in home

I bought my mother an Iphone and want her to have wifi access instead of using the 3g data plan, but she has no computer in her home at all. How do I connect a wireless router in her home with no computer?

thanks!

Expert
sabretooth

Re: How to connect wifi router without computer in home

You take your computer there and configure it.  And any time she has a problem bring your computer with you.

Expert
jlbjlb

Also , take a look at her Internet service providers support web page. They are actually very helpful. If you still can't get it to work, then just post the problem you are having.

You can google search for the make and model of your linksys router, and then go to it's Cisco/linksys support page. You'll find lots of useful info there too.
ScarletJamie

Ladyberg wrote:

I bought my mother an Iphone and want her to have wifi access instead of using the 3g data plan, but she has no computer in her home at all. How do I connect a wireless router in her home with no computer?

thanks!

Yup, they are right. We need a computer temporarily to initially set up the router.

Ladyberg

So I can buy a router, hook it up a my mother's home and set it up with my laptop, and then she will be good to go for wifi?

Expert
sabretooth

Pretty much, yes.  But like I said, if there is a problem, bring your laptop again.

Ladyberg

That's great, will give it a try!! thanks!!

Expert
jlbjlb

It doesn't quite work like that.  You don't just go out and buy a router and instantly have wifi.  She'll need to sign up with an ISP first.  

Usually it's better to get your modem first from the internet service provider and see what they give you.  The modem they give you may already have wifi and therefore you won't need to go out and buy a router.

Ladyberg

sounds like we will just stick with the 3g. She doesn't need internet for anything else. She doesn;t have a computer, so I don't want to pay for internet service just for the iphone. thanks for the info.

Expert
sabretooth

Huh, wow.  I guess I 'assumed' one thing to often. ;-)